Did I ruin my Low-Floc Yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mggdp

Reaction score
I am prepping for a Belgian Wit, OG 1.049.

Used yeast calc, and I was doing a two step process, first step was 1L. I don't have a stir plate, was doing the old walk by and shake routine, for about 24 hours. Then I refrigerated the starter for 12 hours. I was boiling up my next step and began decanting the first step when I realized what I was doing.

*&%#$%.

I poured about 1/2L out.

Since it is a very Low Flocculating strain, Wyeast 3463, did I just screw myself by pouring out a lot of the little low floc critters, thus hurting my chances at good attenuation in the batch?

I have a feeling I will just need to make a new starter, but I thought I would reach out first. Thanks!

Michael

Fermenter 1 - Dunkleweizen

Fermenter 2 - on hold for Wit Beer-

Was there a decent cake at the bottom of your starter? Low flocculation means you'll have more yeast in suspension than a high-flocculating yeast, but if you've got a cake at the bottom, it's likely that most of your yeast is down there anyway. If you're worried, cut your next step down a bit to account for yeast you may have lost.

There was a decent sized cake, considering it was only a 1 liter starter, but I was definitely expecting a larger cake. I cut the second step in half and will add a third step in hopes of salvaging this starter. Thanks for the input FatDragon.

Latest posts

Back