Did I ruin it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiMithing83

Reaction score
Got my first homebrew kit for Christmas, started my first batch on Friday (Brewers Best Red Ale, if it matters). After pitching the yeast, I threw the fermenter in my bedroom, near the window (I live in Chicago)... in the morning, the temp gauge read 61-62* F, right at the lower limit listed in my kit. I moved it to the kitchen in a cabinet, and ~15 hours later it was at 77* F. I moved it again since this is well above the range listed in my kit, and it is now in my room away from the window, and steady at 66* F. Saturday morning it was bubbling like crazy out the airlock, by the time it hit 77* in the kitchen, bubbling had stopped out of the airlock.

I decided to do a half batch because it seemed like a good idea at the time, I didn't want to drink the same thing for two cases, I was afraid I would mess up and waste an entire 5 gallon batch, and I'm an idiot. Low and behold, with only 2.5 gallons in the fermenter, the hydrometer bottoms out... I have no SG to check against. Is there any way to tell if I ruined this half batch, or do I just wait it out, bottle according to schedule, and hope for the best? I know a lack of bubbles doesn't necessarily mean it's not fermenting, but such big temperature swings make me worry I killed the yeast.

Needless to say, I will not be doing any more half batches with this setup. Thanks in advance for responses.

I don't think you killed your yeast but they have been stressed. You want to keep your temps steady and in my opinion on the lower side vs. the higher side. Higher fermentation temps can cause off flavors. My first couple of batches had the same problems but I still had beer and I learned from it.

I don't think you're an idiot.
I don't think you killed the yeast.
I think your plan of proceeding on schedule an brewing full batches in the future is the right approach.

Try the swamp cooler approach for reducing temperature flucuations. I use a 16 gallon tub purchased at a farm store to provide a water bath around the carboy. It cost around $15 and keeps the temp very stable.

And Welcome to the addiction!

I don't think you killed your yeast but they have been stressed. You want to keep your temps steady and in my opinion on the lower side vs. the higher side. Higher fermentation temps can cause off flavors. My first couple of batches had the same problems but I still had beer and I learned from it.

I agree - you are probably OK. This might not be the best beer you'll make, but it will probably be just fine. Without knowing the gravity when you started, it'll be tougher to be sure about the end, but not impossible. Did the kit have a target FG? If not, I'd let it sit for two weeks. That will give the yeast a little time to recover from the temperature roller coaster, and finish their work.

And try and keep the temps steady for the next week or so.

Best of luck.

Should be ok but like has been said. Steady temps make happy yeast and the best beer.

Yeast create heat as they metabolize sugars so if the fermentation begins at 61-63F that is perfect. You want to keep the ambient air in the 60-63F range during the first active stage of fermentation and then you can slowly let the temp rise over the next week to 70F by the time the beer is completely done fermenting.

I don't think you're an idiot.
I don't think you killed the yeast.
I think your plan of proceeding on schedule an brewing full batches in the future is the right approach.

Try the swamp cooler approach for reducing temperature flucuations. I use a 16 gallon tub purchased at a farm store to provide a water bath around the carboy. It cost around $15 and keeps the temp very stable.

And Welcome to the addiction!
Unfortunately, I live in a 750 sq ft apartment in the city, with my wife and two cats... space is limited, and I'm keeping everything in the bedroom to avoid cat hair contamination. but when I upgrade to a larger space in a few months (baby on the way), I will remember this. Thanks for the heads up.
I agree - you are probably OK. This might not be the best beer you'll make, but it will probably be just fine. Without knowing the gravity when you started, it'll be tougher to be sure about the end, but not impossible. Did the kit have a target FG? If not, I'd let it sit for two weeks. That will give the yeast a little time to recover from the temperature roller coaster, and finish their work.

And try and keep the temps steady for the next week or so.

Best of luck.

The kit does list a target FG, but unfortunately the hydrometer is bottoming out with the half batch... not enough liquid in the fermenter. It also says 5-6 days should do it, so I figured a full two weeks should be safe. I'm taking this as a learning experience, I just wasn't sure if I should go ahead and dump this one and make the other half of the kit or try to salvage it. Looks like it should be salvageable from the comments in here.

Thanks everyone!

To measure the gravity with the hydrometer you need a test jar or hydrometer tube. If you don't have a tube just find a thin vase, clean and sanitize and fill it with beer using a sanitized turkey baster if you don't have a wine thief. This is how I 'ghetto checked' my beer before I had the right equipment.

Back