Did I over Carbonate my brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IloveWorts

Reaction score
Its in a keezer, at 38-40 degrees F. 6 feet of beer line. Lines are clean. Heres where **** gets weird. I have the same two beers in different 5 gal Sanke kegs. One is fine and the other is pure foam.

The problem one also had a different brew on tape with no problem with the lines.

My guess, I left it at 40psi for a day and a half. It then sat at 10-12 for a few days. Now it pours strait foam.

Any ideas??

If you generally don't have problems with that line length, then you probably just overcarbed it. Disconnect the gas. Purge the keg. Let it sit. Repeat until it's down to a better level.

can you see if there's foam in the line or does it foam up when it hits the glass? If it's foamy in the line you might need to clean your out pop-it or clean out the dip tube or some other part that's between the bottom of the keg and your glass.

If it's foaming when it hits your glass then it does sound like it's over carb'ed. However, usually you can tell if it's over carb'ed because the beer comes shooting out of the faucet faster than it usually does.

You might just degas to 2 psi and see how it pours.

There is foam in the line. That was my biggest worry. I'll have to do some surgery to asses the problem inside the keg. I have extra so I may just switch out spears and try to check the one in it now to see wtf could have happened. Beer does taste great through

cool. Yah, If there's foam in the line it's getting hung up somewhere I'd think. If I were you i'd take everything apart, dip tube, pop-its, etc... Maybe there's something stuck in the pop-it spring or something.

+1 on taking apart the poppet on your keg AND the liquid coupler (ball lock or whatever you are using). It is not uncommon to get a few hop bits stuck in there. It is also a quick and easy thing to do.

If that fails, try changing out the liquid coupler. I've had a few that have failed "slowly", causing some strange tap behavior. For each one, I've not been able to see a problem, but swapping them out seemed to fix things.

Back