Did I mess up my first brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewildt

Reaction score
This is my first batch brewing. I brewed this last night, added the yeast and put the batch in the glass carboy. Here is the recipe I was following.

Grain Bill

13 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (10L)
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (20L)
Hop Schedule

1 oz - Magnum (75 Min.)
1 oz - Centennial - at Flameout
2 oz - Centennial - Dry Hop in secondary
Yeast

White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil

I followed everything correctly but was told by a friend that instead of putting the 1 ounce centinnial at flameout, I should try dry hopping.

I was planning on 1st fermentation for 1 week, and second fermentation for 2 weeks.

I still have the 3 oz total of Centennial hops left, and am wondering when I should add them in?

One person told me to put 2 oz in right now (morning after brewing) for 1st fermentation, and none for second fermentation. Another told me to put 1 oz in now for first fermentation, and 2 oz in for second fermentation. Another told me that putting hops in the second fermentation will make the beer rather hazy. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

I probably would've used some Centennial in the boil, but since that's past you should wait until primary fermentation is finished to add the hops. All the fermentation activity will carry away a lot of the hop characteristics now so I'd wait until it dies down or stops.

According to your recipe, 1 oz of centennial should have gone into the brew pot when you turned the burner off, and the 2 oz should go into the secondary for about a week, I dry hop in the keg so my process is a little bit different.

According to your recipe, 1 oz of centennial should have gone into the brew pot when you turned the burner off, and the 2 oz should go into the secondary for about a week, I dry hop in the keg so my process is a little bit different.
Azscoob, so since I did not add hops when I turned the burner off and it is the next morning, do you agree that I should wait until 2nd fermentation to add all hops, or should I add 1 oz now during primary and 2 oz during secondary?

Mike, to clear some things up for you, there is no "secondary fermentation." The term applies to the beer sitting in a secondary carboy or bucket to clarify and age when applicable. No fermentation actually happens, it finishes in primary. If I were you, I'd do this - let your beer ferment for 2 weeks and then add all 3 oz of centennial. Let that sit for 2 weeks, check the gravity, and if it's good to go (which it should be at that point) bottle her up!

I usually dry hop when fermentation is nearly done ( say 90-95% ) and then I add it directly to the primary...why risk exposing your beer to oxygen if you don't have to. With the little fermentation left, it won't scrub out the dry hop and I've read it actually helps to increase the aromas.

Next time, add that 1 oz around 10 min left.
For now, add all 3 oz after fermentation has stopped.

Should be a fairly nice IPA w/ solid bitterness and a lot of hop aroma...which hopefully translates into some hop flavor.

Back