Did I mess up my cider with a too high fermentation temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Be

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've had a long break from making cider and beer and I'm slowly easing my way back into it. On Friday I made 28 liters of apple cider and it kicked off great. Bubbling away. The reason I'm posting is that I want to ask for your advice regarding fermentation temperatures. I have the fermentation vessel in a fridge controlled by an STC-1000. Until today the temperature was set to 19.5 C. Is this too high? The probe is hanging in the air inside the fridge. I'm thinking about the fact that the temperature inside the fermentation vessel rises with the yeast activity, thus making the air outside the vessel colder than the cider temperature. Will this affect my cider negatively? I have just readjusted the temperature to 17.5 C now. I am using SafCider.

Thanks for your opinions/advice in advance

The ideal temperature is 15-22 C (though able to ferment in 10-30 C) according to it's spec sheet.

Latest posts

Back