Did I kill the yeast before I got started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Packie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So as I was getting my yeast starter ready, I dropped the yeast pack in my bucket of Star San mix and left it there for 15-20 minutes. What I forgot is the water was warm … like 100 degrees. Whoops. Anyway I went ahead with the starter, so we’ll see what happens. Even if I get some action going on it, I wonder if it will be damaged goods. Thoughts?

Dry or liquid (wet) yeast?

100F? If wet yeast, there may be some temp shock, but chances are she'll be just fine.
Dry yeast actually needs to be rehydrated around 96F, if you choose to do so.

Either way if it's all you got and it's unlikely you'll get any other today or tomorrow, then you need to pitch it anyhow and see what you get. If dry yeast I wouldn't be as worried. Certainly it sees as much or more during shipping I'd think.

Should Star-San water ever be that warm?

A couple things going on:
* No, yeast dies at 140F, so you didn't kill it
* You did shock their temperature, which can kill some percentage of cells
* Yeast are most active at 90-100F, so you may have awoken them
* Hopefully you didnt shock them even more by pitching into cold wort

TLDR: You're just fine. Hope your beer turns out fantastic.

A couple things going on:
* No, yeast dies at 140F, so you didn't kill it
* You did shock their temperature, which can kill some percentage of cells
* Yeast are most active at 90-100F, so you may have awoken them
* Hopefully you didnt shock them even more by pitching into cold wort

TLDR: You're just fine. Hope your beer turns out fantastic.
Ah ok, good to know. I put the starter on a stirplate and it seems ok as far as I can tell. I cold crashed it overnight and there's cake at that bottom -- that's a sign all is ok, no?

Either way if it's all you got and it's unlikely you'll get any other today or tomorrow, then you need to pitch it anyhow and see what you get. If dry yeast I wouldn't be as worried. Certainly it sees as much or more during shipping I'd think.

Should Star-San water ever be that warm?
Ya, for some reason when I made the Star San batch I thought in my head warm is more sanitary, so I filled it with hot tap water. Won't do that again.

Back