Did I kill my brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weiz-Ass

Reaction score
On Father's Day I started a kit Dry Irish Stout. Everything went great, and I put my carboy into my closet at 64˚. I've been busy, and a couple days went by - last night I decided to check on the brew and found that it had clogged the airlock and ejaculated some beer (not a lot). I took out the airlock and inserted a tube into a mason jar with water, attempting a blow-by that would simulate an airlock but allow my air (and beer) volume to pass. It bubbled a few times and I went to bed. This morning before work I took a peek thinking I would see bubble madness, but there wasn't any bubbling... I didn't stick around to see if the bubbles were completely dead, but I'm used to seeing MUCH more activity than this. Am I fretting too much? What do you guys think I should check/do/try?

What you should do - Relax. This all sounds like a completely normal progression.

You had an active fermentation, and now the yeast is going quiet since most (but not all) of the sugars have been eaten. Keep it sanitary (leave the blowoff tube, or replace the airlock, your choice), and wait at least another week (probably two). Then bottle.

Cheers!

Yes, it's fine. During high activity there is enough CO2 pressure to push past the water and make bubbles. As it slows down, and small leak in the system will allow the CO2 to get past, therefore preventing the bubbling in the blow-off device.

Clean, sanitize, and replace your airlock. You may see more bubbling. If you use a carboy, this is highly likely. If you use a bucket, the odds are much lower as buckets tend to leak at least a little bit. Either way it's fine.

Should I check the gravity? I actually forgot to check in before I pitched... but I know what the readings should be..

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's most likely fine. It's been... 3 days now? It's very likely the most active part of fermentation is finished (though that doesn't mean that it's finished yet, just the most active stage).

edit: no point in taking a hydrometer reading at this point, since it'll probably still drop down a more from here. Wait at least 7 days before taking your first hydrometer reading, since you'll just be checking to see when it's done at this point.

Yes again, it sounds totally normal. The active portion of the fermentation occurred during the days you were not watching.

The system you set up is very common and called a blow off tube.

I suggest you set up a blow off tube at the start of EVERY fermentation. You do not need to change back to an airlock at all. Just keep the end of the tube submerged in a small amount of sanitizer.

Should I check the gravity? I actually forgot to check in before I pitched... but I know what the readings should be..

Wait to check the gravity. Give it two weeks from the start of fermentation for the first SG reading. Take another reading after two or three more days. You will probably find that fermentation is complete. A few more days for the yeast to clean up off natural flavors of fermentation then to bottle when you have the time. There is no rush to bottle.
I would definitely give this one the extra time in the primary since you may have had a fermentation that was on the hot side for the yeast.

KepowOb: It has been almost 3 days... 2 full days when I made my discovery.

kh54s10: I think this will become my new "airlock"

Homercidal and frazier - thanks for the explanation...being relatively new at this, I wasn't sure and you guys really set my mind at ease.

I'll just assume nothing went wrong, and let it finish fermenting :mug:

Everything sounds fine and normal. At some point I would re-attach a sanitized airlock and leave it alone. Don't open, don't take a gravity reading, just leave it alone and be patient. Take a gravity reading when you go to bottle. Even if you aren't seeing any activity there is probably still some going on.

The reason I tell you not to mess with it, is to avoid contamination, oxygenation, etc. And its not like there is anything you can do aside from wait, if the gravity isn't where you want it. And you beer is probably going to drop the last few points over the next few days. 80% of the fermentation probably takes place in the first 3 days and then the last 20% probably takes another 2-3 days. Just give it time.

Wait to check the gravity. Give it two weeks from the start of fermentation for the first SG reading. Take another reading after two or three more days. You will probably find that fermentation is complete. A few more days for the yeast to clean up off natural flavors of fermentation then to bottle when you have the time. There is no rush to bottle.
I would definitely give this one the extra time in the primary since you may have had a fermentation that was on the hot side for the yeast.

Copy that... I'm patient... I'll give it some time

Firstly, there is no reason to be scared of taking a hydro reading. IF you sanitize your equipment and try not to disturb the blanket of CO2 or allow drafts and stuff near the fermentor, you are highly unlikely to cause any real harm.

On the other hand, there is NO good reason to even peek into the fermentor at this point either (other than that awful feeling of anticipation to know what's going on!!) You are still early in the fermentation. We can argue about when the best time to check is, but it's too soon now, that's for sure. Knowing that fermentation took place I would never consider even looking at my beer until at least a week in, and I generally wait until 2 weeks to do anything with it.

My advice is to wait the week at least. I'd maybe take a reading at 10 days and then check again in 2-3 days and compare the results. if the hydro reading has not changed, it's done. If it's still creeping down, wait another week.

You are not likely to do any harm by waiting a week or two extra, but bottling too early can cause bottle bombs.

I'm good with waiting. I don't get impatient with my brews. I've just never had this happen before and didn't know if I screwed up. My carboy is glass, so I can see everything I want to see. I'll wait 10 days, test and then test again 3 days later as I normally do. Thank you very much for your responses - I have truly relaxed over the situation.

Update: I checked on the brew last night when I got home - it is, in fact, bubbling. It's just slowed down to about 1 bubble every 50 seconds or so.

Ok.. I let it ferment for a couple weeks, took a gravity reading. The SG was exactly what the box plans said it should be. So, I cleaned/sanitized my bottling equipment and bottled away. - (to have some fun, I used old Guinness bottles)

I let it carb for 2 weeks, and the beer is nothing short of amazing! It has a slight chocolate taste with a hint of espresso. It's not so bold and very smooth. My wife, who isn't as fond of dark beers, even loves it. Everyone who tries it raises their eyebrows. I think this was a winner. :) :mug:

Ok.. I let it ferment for a couple weeks, took a gravity reading. The SG was exactly what the box plans said it should be. So, I cleaned/sanitized my bottling equipment and bottled away. - (to have some fun, I used old Guinness bottles)

I let it carb for 2 weeks, and the beer is nothing short of amazing! It has a slight chocolate taste with a hint of espresso. It's not so bold and very smooth. My wife, who isn't as fond of dark beers, even loves it. Everyone who tries it raises their eyebrows. I think this was a winner. :) :mug:
Nice!!
Stash 12 of these bottles in a cool dark place for 4 months after two more weeks of bottle conditioning. I think you will be even more pleased with the results.
Start another one so you won't be tempted to hit the stashed 12 early.

Nice!!
Stash 12 of these bottles in a cool dark place for 4 months after two more weeks of bottle conditioning. I think you will be even more pleased with the results.
Start another one so you won't be tempted to hit the stashed 12 early.

Update: I'm diabetic so I don't go through my beer quickly. I drank one case and stashed the other. I waited until Christmas to open the last case and OH MY WORD, that was well worth the wait. It was the best I've made to date! It tastes almost identical to Irish Death.

A great experience to be sure - thanks everyone for your support.

Back