Did I just create bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newB_newyorker

Reaction score
So I just bottled a beer on Sunday and I'm a bit worried the bottles might not be safe. I'm considering "unbottling" them but I'd like to get some opinions first.

The recipe is a Rye Stout and the starting gravity was 1.065 and after 3 weeks in the primary the gravity was 1.025. If I'm calculating correctly that is about 62% Apparent Attenuation. The yeast was Windsor.

This is the 4th time Ive brewed this recipe and I guess I was being lazy or just got distracted with the bottling but I didn't actually bother to take the FG reading until my bottling was done because I took the sample and got distracted and then started bottling. So now I have around 20 bottles that were primed to approx 2.5 volumes of Co2 and the FG seems a bit high to me even though I know that Windsor is not highly attenuative.

How dire do you think this situation is?

I'm willing to bet that it is just fine. How many weeks did the other three batches sit before bottling?

The other batches all sat for about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks as well. The recipes were all pretty much the same but I've been tweaking little things. The OG was slightly off target for this batch though. The other ones were all around ~1.075 so this started lower and finished out at about the same spot. Strangely enough it tasted quite dry.

Latest posts

Back