Did I jump the gun on bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankhops

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm a little worried I just bottled my beer to quickly, and now I'm freaking out a little. Here's the rundown.

Brewing an IPA, kind of my own little variation on a brewers recipe. I also dry hopped a little. This is only my second attempt at home brewing.

I brewed on March 10th putting the the primary in a plastic bucket for exactly 10 days. Then I moved to a carboy (dry hopped) and left in there for another 12 days. I bottled last night and was planning on leaving the bottles alone for 14 days. Is this ok? I feel like I should have let alone in the carboy for another week maybe?

I appreciate any thoughts.

At 22 days you are probably ok, but there is a lot of missing info here. Were you taking gravity readings? What were they? What was your original gravity and expected final gravity? Dry or liquid yeast? Did you make a starter? What did it taste like at bottling?

Probably more questions but that should get us started. :)

well, i'm a noob of the 10th order and haven't quite figured out how get the gravity readings working, so i have yet to accomplish this part of it. I did sample the beer before bottling and it tasted ok other being flat. not quite as hoppy as i was hoping, but it didn't taste foul by any means.

i used a liquid yeast.

Gravity reasons are extremely easy, if you have a wine thief and a tube to put the sample in and your hydrometer its just looking where the numbers are. If you don't have anything like that you could put the hydrometer right in the wort, but you MUST make sure your very careful and remain sanitary with everything

Beer is done when it's done. If you're at FG and it tastes good, it's time to package. For an average gravity ale (up to 1.060ish), 10 days is usually plenty. There's a vocal contingent on this forum that advocates extrememly long fermentation times, but if you've done everything correctly, you'll be just fine.

Latest posts

Back