Did I insult my Wyeast 1214?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I'm using this yeast again just thought I would say that pitching an 800 ml starter at 60F it took about 24 hours for mine to get started.

Letting it rise naturally in a cool room or a bucket filled with similar temp. water seems to be working really well for me. The Leffe brune clone that I devised for this is actually better than Leffe Brune and people are begging me to remake it. It's the first time that's ever happened with one of my beers! :)

So after reading this, I should be worried that my saison (used 3522) was at 78 for 5 days, then 70 for 2 weeks and counting?

Revival on this thread. First post ever actually.

Just pitched 1214 (first time using) into a Strong Golden Ale that had a SG of 1.070 on Sunday night 9 p.m. at a temp of 70˚F and ambient temp of 70˚F.

On Monday woke up to about an inch of krausen already and the yeast had risen in temperature to the upper 70's (78-80) ambient temp still at ~70˚F. Most vigorous fermentation to date. Really full head of krausen (6+ inches by night fall). Blow off glass reeks of bubblegum and banana, little spice present, but the esters seem overwhelming. (Putting my nose in glass right above sanitizing fluid to smell; the room around doesn't smell too much, but it is going through the sanitizer first).

Stayed at 78 until today, Tues, when the bubbling seems to have stopped completely and krausen completely subsided. Yeast is still swirling rather vigorously, however.

After reading the thread, decided to place in the basement at an ambient temp of 63˚F with hopes the esters will be a bit subdued. Hopefully it still ferments out and isn't an ester bomb. I'll keep posting with updates, cheers.

I have a Belgian tripel (New Belgium Trippel clone) in my primary at the moment. I pitched Wyeast 1214 at 20*C. Airlock activity began at ~16 hours when the wort was at 22*C. At 36 hours the airlock was bubbling ferociously and the temperature was at 28*C (room temperature was maybe 22-23*C)! I was having to refill the airlock every 6-8 hours as the beer temp climbed because it was blowing the water out of the airlock. I thought about not intervening, but I did end up putting the fermenter in a tub of cold water and brought the temperature down to 23*C. At 72 hours, airlock activity has slowed to ~one bubble every 20-30 seconds. I am hoping the FG is where I want it-- I'll test it in a few days.

I also assume that I'll get some pretty intense esters as a result. Right now, I am smelling a lot of sour apple and a bit of banana. I am also hoping that I didn't cause the Wyeast 1214 to stall out.

Back