Did i go overboard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr6188

Reaction score
So i have right now only brewed 2 beers. ( 1 in primary and 1 in secondary). Both Extract. Not even bottled yet. But i loved it so much i bought a complete kit to brew all grain, along with a 2 keg system, along with a grain mill, i have never even did all grain. I mean i think i might have found a hobby i like but did i purchase stuff too fast? haha.

Nope! If you already enjoy the hobby, there's no timetable at which to keep. I would greatly suggest reading until your head spins and eyes pop out. Other than that, you're just fine and congrats on your new obsession!

I'm right there with you, brother. My first (extract) batch isn't even done carbonating yet, and I have a propane burner, mash tun, HLT, and kegs being delivered this weekend, and I'm in the middle of retrofitting my brew kettle with a thermometer, ball valve, and sight glass. Brewing from extract was so awesome, there's no way we're not going to love all grain.

That's pretty fast. I would have recommended a few AG batches before going nuts on the grain mill, because its not for everyone. Plenty of people go right back to extract. But honestly, I had a four-keg system going before my 3rd batch was drinkable. I jump into hobbies and projects like you.

As long as you understand that this hobby is different on brew day. On brew day, you're no longer a brewer trying to learn and grow... you're 5% liquid transfer guy, 5% temperature watcher and 90% sanitation engineer. If you don't like cleaning the same pot over and over, this isn't the hobby for you. :)

Otherwise, congrats.

Nope! If you already enjoy the hobby, there's no timetable at which to keep. I would greatly suggest reading until your head spins and eyes pop out. Other than that, you're just fine and congrats on your new obsession!

Im ordered Palmers "How to Brew" as well.

That's pretty fast. I would have recommended a few AG batches before going nuts on the grain mill, because its not for everyone. Plenty of people go right back to extract. But honestly, I had a four-keg system going before my 3rd batch was drinkable. I jump into hobbies and projects like you.

As long as you understand that this hobby is different on brew day. On brew day, you're no longer a brewer trying to learn and grow... you're 5% liquid transfer guy, 5% temperature watcher and 90% sanitation engineer. If you don't like cleaning the same pot over and over, this isn't the hobby for you. :)

Otherwise, congrats.

I agree with you 100%. i have been helping my dad with extract since i was 16. (I never really did anything but help fill bottles) . But he got out of the hobby. Ever since i started telling him ive been getting into it. hes been showing and giving me all his equiptment so we can do it together. But ya, i plan on doing about 4-5 extract brews before i switch to all grain.

I did extracts,& extracts with steeping grains for about 2 years before going partial mash. I wanted to see how far extract beer can go. I'm still learning that one. I started combining different extracts since my 2nd batch. With a good process,either can make good beir. But partial mash allows for more subtleties to be added to the flavor complexity. So do what ever the next level is for you when you're sure you're ready.

I think you are always better off getting good equipment to start with - I know a lot of people say "your equipment does not matter" - and they are right to a certain point - you can't have a crappy process and produce good beer, just because you have good equipment. But, having good equipment makes the process easier, more enjoyable, more repeatable and takes some of the variables out. It does not sound like you bought anything ridiculous. Plus, had you bought cheap, and then upgraded, you would have spent even more.
In my experience, the only place I feel I "wasted" money over the years was in search of better fermenters.... carboys, better bottles, V-vessels, almost bought a couple SS Conicals, etc..... I have been back to almost all buckets for the past several years - they are the cheapest, easiest and in my experience, best fermenters...... probably short of SS conicals (but the price of those are so crazy that any benefit is sort of lost in the cost.)

So i have right now only brewed 2 beers. ( 1 in primary and 1 in secondary). Both Extract. Not even bottled yet. But i loved it so much i bought a complete kit to brew all grain, along with a 2 keg system, along with a grain mill, i have never even did all grain. I mean i think i might have found a hobby i like but did i purchase stuff too fast? haha.

I'll be in Youngstown the first week of April- maybe I can come see your new stuff? :D

My friend wanted to brew, and he never did an extract batch at all- he just started with all-grain brewing and did just fine. Each person is different, and if you want to do it all, you certainly can!

I'll be in Youngstown the first week of April- maybe I can come see your new stuff? :D

My friend wanted to brew, and he never did an extract batch at all- he just started with all-grain brewing and did just fine. Each person is different, and if you want to do it all, you certainly can!

ya. sure. that wouldnt be a problem. let me know if ya come here.

Latest posts

Back