Did I contaminate my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverendJ

Reaction score
So I've got a an ESB bubbling away, but about 3 days in, I've got a good kräusen and it's bubbling vigerously but underneath the kräusen there are white strings hanging off. Is this some sort of contamination, and if so what if anything can I do? I've attached a pictures, I'd hate to dump it, but I also hate to drink a beer that tastes like vinegar.

IMAG0432.jpg

Not sure there is anything wrong in that pic. Almost looks like the yeast is strating to drop out of the krausen. I would not worry. Check the infection pics thread to see what infections really looks like.

Ok, thanks! I've always brewed in buckets until now, so I have no idea what it actually looks like when the yeast is doing it's thing.

I really love to ferment in my carboy; I love to watch it moving and changing! My cats are mesmerized by it. They sit and watch, touching their paws to the glass as if trying to "catch" something! It's better than TV sometimes!

Looks like you we're all right, nothing wrong with the beer, turned out fine in the end (see pic). I figured out what I was seeing was yeast that was growing on the top and then dropping to the bottom of the carboy. Now that I know what it looks like I won't freak out next time :)

IMAG0436.jpg

Latest posts

Back