Did I contaminate my beer in the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTodd

Reaction score
Yesterday after pitching the yeast and sealing up the lid on the fermenter, I realized I did not get a hydrometer reading. So I got my beer thief, rinsed it off well and then sprayed it with a spray bottle I prepared with diluted five star sanitizer (iodine based).

I broke my batch up into 2 fermenter buckets each using a different yeast. This one that I used the thief on is not bubbling in the airlock where the other one is wildly bubbling away. The one that is not bubbling had WLP001 and I have safale 05 in the one that's bubbling.

Could it be that perhaps the thief sprayed with the sanitizer did something to kill the yeast? If so - is it ruined or can I try pitching more yeast?

fermentis/safeale dry yeast has taken off faster than any liquid yeast I've ever tried, usually within 5-6 hours.

No bubbles is not necessarily a sign of no activity. Has not happened to me but there are a bunch others here that have had their beers barely make a bubble. The true answer is the hydro reading. In my personal experience I have had a couple not start bubbling for almost 48 hours. Partly my fault for not aerating enough before pitching. I would wait another day.

Infection on that scale wouldn't have effect on start of fermentation. From a BYO article:

"The average 50-milliliter smack pack of yeast has roughly 2.5 billion to 4 billion cells once it has reached high kraeusen (the peak of fermentation). This is far below optimum for a five-gallon batch of beer. Dry yeast has approximately 14 billion cells of viable yeast per gram. Dry yeast packs vary in size from five to 14 grams".

Dry yeast will seemingly always take off quicker than a pack or vial of liquid yeast (without starter).

Your sanitizer(I am guessing) is a no rinse sanitizer so no it shouldn't hurt the yeast. People dump wort right on top of no rinse sanitizer all the time.

No. You did not kill the yeast. I always dip my wine thief, dripping with star san, directly into my fermenters with no ill effects. Just relax, if you didn't make a starter for the fermenter with wlp001 it may be a little slow taking off. Nothing to worry about, just a little longer to wait before seeing some action.

No infection. Dry yeast takes of WAY faster than liquid, especially without a starter. You're good ;)

So yeah - you guys are right. This morning when I checked on it I noticed some decent activity in the airlock. Still not quite up to the level of the other fermenter with the safale 05 yeast in it - but I'm definitely relieved to see it bubbling.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back