Did I collect to much run off??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
I always collect enough run off to meet 6.5 gallons. Don't really check the run off gravity readings. Well today I turned to answer me phone and I collected 7 gallons instead of the typical 6.5. The gravity reading of the wort (pre-boil) was 1.047 just as beer smith stated it would be.

Don't ask why but I in return removed the extra 1/2 gallon from my kettle and started my boil. After I thought about I should have just left it :mad:

The final reading was 1.059 a couple points shy of the forecast ed 1.062.

My concern is did I collect to much run off? Could I have started to extract tannins?? This is a holiday ale and wont be putting it on tap until December and was hoping for the whole family to enjoy this at the holiday dinner table :(

I collect more than 6.5 gallons pre-boil sometimes. It's no big deal. Even with taking the 1/2 gallon out, the pre-boil gravity would have been the same. Relax....you didn't extract any baddies....

I collect more than 6.5 gallons pre-boil sometimes. It's no big deal. Even with taking the 1/2 gallon out, the pre-boil gravity would have been the same. Relax....you didn't extract any baddies....

Thanks for the vote of confidence!!! :mug:

BTW I am not sure if it matters but I batch sparge.

Hey,
If you want to put those extra runnings that you don't want in the kettle to good use, save them for your next yeast starter!

I shot my self in the foot on this lol. I in a panic tossed the "left over wort" out the garage door:eek::drunk: Now I know and should know better to RDWHAHB.

Thanks for the replies :mug:

Hahaha, if you think you're bad. I often collect nearly 7.5 gallons for a 6 gallon batch. Granted I boil 90mins often as I enjoy pilsner malt but yeah, remember you can always boil longer and condense it a bit. Plus you'll get better efficiency doing a double sparge anyway, or at least I do.

Latest posts

Back