Did I build a jockey box or a foam dispenser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncornilsen

Reaction score
I'm building a jockey box for my wedding in June. I think the box itself came out great, but I'm worried that the coils I made may be an issue.

I got, cheaply, some 1/4" OD, .15" ID stainless coils. Since there would be too much resistance if I used it straight, I put the coils in parallel, coming up an effective diameter similar to that of 5/16 OD tubing. With 7 feet of 1/4 hose, I could serve at 14 to 15 PSI.

What I'm concerned about is the Tee's causing too much turbulence, creating foam.

What do you think? I won't have any beer to test it for a while, or I'd just do that haha.

Thanks!
-Nick

20160207_143132.jpg

20160308_071107.jpg

20160308_071113.jpg

I'm building a jockey box for my wedding in June. I think the box itself came out great, but I'm worried that the coils I made may be an issue.

I got, cheaply, some 1/4" OD, .15" ID stainless coils. Since there would be too much resistance if I used it straight, I put the coils in parallel, coming up an effective diameter similar to that of 5/16 OD tubing. With 7 feet of 1/4 hose, I could serve at 14 to 15 PSI.

What I'm concerned about is the Tee's causing too much turbulence, creating foam.

What do you think? I won't have any beer to test it for a while, or I'd just do that haha.

Thanks!
-Nick

Looks good.

A lot of jockey boxes have choke lines to drive up the dispensing pressure. This allows serving at 30+ psi. When beer heats up, it releases co2 based on the pressure. If the pressure is low, like 14 psi, it will form bubbles in the line and create foam. If the keg and lines are not all kept at a reasonably consistent temperature, you want the option of serving with a high co2 pressure.

Or maybe its something magic.

I see.

The kegs would be kept in ice/water, and the stainless coils would be immersed in water/ice, so I'm hoping I don't create foam.

I suppose if I test it, and get foam, I can put a few feet of 3/16 line after the coils and increase the pressure a bit to help reduce it, right?

-Nick

That T setup is what's causing a lot of turbulence and more than likely, CO2 breakout. The runs need to be as smooth as possible.

Back