Did I brew a Near-Beer? Help the Hydrometer Challenged.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolemite78

Reaction score
I have a question about Gravity readings first, then hoping you could check my math and/or correct me where I may have some bad assumptions.

My question is this; I often read on here that people were "right on target" in ref to their SG/FG, where do these "target" numbers come from? I assumed that maybe the numbers were in the directions of the kit, but I didn' see anything that eluded to what my approximate SG/FG should be. The reason I ask is due to my numbers below.

Autumn Amber Ale kit from Midwest

- Used dry yeast included (Muntons), rehydrated and pitched @ 85 degrees
- OG 1.035
- Fermented between 70 - 76 degrees
- Began bubbling within about 8hrs, lasted about 2 days
- Today is day 11 in the primary, won't be using a secondary
- Gravity reading today was 1.016

From what I've read, the FG should be about where it is now, will measure for the next 2 days to make sure I'm stable.

Hydrometer is calibrated @ 60 degrees
- OG was 1.032 @ 84 degrees so I added .003 according to my correction scale to get 1.035
- Today's reading was 1.014 @ 70 degrees so I added .002 to get 1.016

Based off what I've read, i take the difference of the two readings (0.019) and multiply by 105 which results in an estimated ABV of 1.995.

Does this sound right, or did I miss something? I could have possibly botched my initial reading, first time ever using a hydrometer, however it seems pretty cut and dry.

What was the recipe?

Im guess this is an partial boil extract?

If so your OG was actually higher than what you took a reading of.

If you do not do a full boil and use top off water, then your OG readings will usually be off due to the water and wort not mixing correctly. This has nothing to do with how your beer will finish as it will mix properly during fermentation.

I have a feeling your OG should be around 1050 or 1055. But need to see a recipe to calculate for you.

Based off what I've read, i take the difference of the two readings (0.019) and multiply by 105 which results in an estimated ABV of 1.995.

Assuming everything else is right (Maxkling raises a great point), you're _almost_ right.

(OG - FG) * 105 = %ABW (alcohol by weight)
%ABW * 1.25 = %ABV

So, in your case, if your OG value is really correct, you've got 2.49% ABV right there.

I checked out Midwest's site, and that recipe (according to Brewtarget) likely was closer to 1.044 for its OG - likely, the sample you measured just had a little more top-off water than it did wort. In that case, your ABV is more like 3.678.

EDIT: Especially after reading HP2XIPA's reply, it jumped out that you only have had this on for 11 days. Give it another week or two, the gravity likely will still come down a couple more points.

Just checked out the recipe on midwest website. Looks like your SG should have been 1.042 - 1.046 and FG 1.010 -1.012. So 1.016 is still a bit high, wait a while longer and see if it drops.

Dangit, I always try to be thourough in my posts, but always seem to leave out vital details, lol. They always sound way too wordy when I read them back.

It was a LME kit, followed the directions exactly.

It was a partial boil, topped off with about 1/3 gallon of tap water to reach 5 gallons, then gently stirred before the reading.

It was a partial boil, topped off with about 1/3 gallon of tap water to reach 5 gallons, then gently stirred before the reading.[/QUOTE]

NO need to stir gently stir like you mean it the wort needs oxygen man .....gently once it's beer and you are adding your priming mix.

Back