Diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john langley

Reaction score
Ooops. Racked to secondary prior to raising the temperature to diacetyl rest range.. Silly beginner mistake, but now after doing the reading I should have done before hand, it makes sense that the batch would need to be on the Lees during this diacetyl rest period.

Question is what to do at this point ?

In the interim, I'm simply raising the secondary to 63° hoping this will accomplish something.

I thought about adding back some of the washed yeast I gathered from the primary of this batch but wanted to query the forum on the wisdom of such an idea..

First off, does this batch actually need a diacetyl rest?

Made a starter with Wyeast 2278 and pitched onto the batch made with pilsner malt. Primary at 52 degrees for 8 days. Went from 1.050 to 1.015 and tasted off flavors at this point...

It was intended to be a classic pilsner lager all along...

Made a starter with Wyeast 2278 and pitched onto the batch made with pilsner malt. Primary at 52 degrees for 8 days. Went from 1.050 to 1.015 and tasted off flavors at this point...

It was intended to be a classic pilsner lager all along...
Unfortunately I've never used that yeast so I can't directly comment on it.

I normally leave it in primary for 3 weeks raising it slowly for a rest after a week. All diacetyl is gone by day21. I would not add yeast back to it just leave it. There must be loads of yeast in suspension after only a week. One of my favourite lager yeasts.

Last edited:
You could test to see if you have any diacetyl or the precursors.
https://www.winning-homebrew.com/diacetyl-test.html

Adding active fermenting wort is better than adding just yeast to help clean things up.

I had a batch of beer fermented with WLP005 that had very bad diacetyl that I did not catch until it was in the keg. I warmed it up and added some active fermenting beer and it cleaned it right up.

Ooops. Racked to secondary prior to raising the temperature to diacetyl rest range.. Silly beginner mistake, but now after doing the reading I should have done before hand, it makes sense that the batch would need to be on the Lees during this diacetyl rest period.

Why would it make sense to leave the beer on inactive yeast that has dropped out of suspension and can no longer absorb and clear up diacetyl or any other by-product?
Unless you also filtered your beer you have millions of active yeast cells per milliliter in your beer to do the cleanup.

Back