Diacetyl rest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toivo

Reaction score
I am in the process of brewing a Modelo Negra clone which is m first lager brew. I have it in the primary right now and plan on ding a diacetyl rest at the end of primary fermentation. My question is do I let it warm up in the primary and then transfer when I am going to go to the lagering stage?
Thanks for the help.
Chris

I am in the process of brewing a Modelo Negra clone which is m first lager brew. I have it in the primary right now and plan on ding a diacetyl rest at the end of primary fermentation. My question is do I let it warm up in the primary and then transfer when I am going to go to the lagering stage?
Thanks for the help.
Chris

Yes, you would do the diacetyl rest before racking and lagering.

Taste the beer, if you don't taste diacetyl there is no reason to do a rest. A "diacetyl rest" really does nothing more than speed up a process that is going to occur anyway given sufficient time.

Taste the beer, if you don't taste diacetyl there is no reason to do a rest. A "diacetyl rest" really does nothing more than speed up a process that is going to occur anyway given sufficient time.

What does it taste like?

What does it taste like?

butterscotch is the term usually used to describe the taste. You might also say butter or margarine. The perception of it can vary a bit depending on the malt backbone of the beer, but butteriness is always there

What does it taste like?

In very small amounts, it presents as a "slick" mouthfeel or oiliness on the tongue. It gets worse over time, and in larger amounts will taste like butter, buttered popcorn, or butterscotch.

A problem for some is that there are some diacetyl non-tasters. So a butter bomb might not be discernible for those who can not taste diacetyl. But even if you're a diacetyl non-taster, you should pick up a slick or oily feeling in the mouthfeel if diacetyl is present above the taste threshold.

Just raise it to room temp for 3 days, it won't hurt anything, leaves u rest assured instead of staying up at night wondering if you did taste it or not lmao. It takes a short time (in lager brewing terms) for a d rest. And diacyetle gets worse with age not better

The other thing -- and maybe I'm just babbling out of ignorance here, since I'm not (yet) a lager brewer -- but I thought that I recalled reading that there were diacetyl precursors that would also get broken down in a D-rest, that wouldn't even be detectable during fermentation.

But maybe I'm wrong.

The other thing -- and maybe I'm just babbling out of ignorance here, since I'm not (yet) a lager brewer -- but I thought that I recalled reading that there were diacetyl precursors that would also get broken down in a D-rest, that wouldn't even be detectable during fermentation.

But maybe I'm wrong.

No, that is correct.

So it is a good idea to do a diacetyl rest when the fermentation is nearly done as a matter of good practice?

Don't want to hijack, but its a similar question: After the diacetyl rest, should i cool the primary to lager temps, then rack or should I rack to secondary and then cool down to lager temps? Does it even really matter?

So it is a good idea to do a diacetyl rest when the fermentation is nearly done as a matter of good practice?

It wouldn't be a bad idea, but many who are confident of their abilities may skip a diacetyl rest. Doing one as a matter of course has no detriments, so doing one one won't hurt.

Don't want to hijack, but its a similar question: After the diacetyl rest, should i cool the primary to lager temps, then rack or should I rack to secondary and then cool down to lager temps? Does it even really matter?

Once your diacetyl rest is done, the beer can be racked and then lagering begun.

For me it sounds like I will do a diacetyl rest and then lager. time isn't a big deal and since it won't hurt I will do it.
When I got home from work and saw all the comments in this thread I was suprised. Great people on this forum always willing to help make it a great place to spend time.
Thanks

I have seen some of the more experienced brewers say you should taste to see if you get the butter scotch flavor or the silky feeling in your mouth and some say when your beer gets down to 1.020.
Until I get more experience I will use the 1.020 mark to do a diacetyl rest for 48 hours and then rack to the secondary to lager.

Latest posts

Back