Diacetyl rest, need to pitch more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gio

Reaction score
I'm brewing "your father's mustache" pre-prohibition lager. The OG was 1.052 and the FG is supposed to be 1.016, but after fermenting for 11 days at 50 degrees, I'm already at 1.010. I think I might have mashed too cool which is why I got more attenuation than I had expected.

Anyways, when my sample warmed a little, it had a distinct butter aroma. I'm letting the beer warm up now (to 65) but I worry that it is too late for a diacetyl rest as it is already at it's FG. Do I need to make a quart starter and add more yeast or will a couple of days at 65 clean it up? It's still in the primary. I was planning on racking to the secondary for lagering this coming weekend.

Plenty of yeast in there already, just see how it is after the rest, I would probably rouse the yeast a little though.

Is the yeast flocculated? Unless you have some more fermentables, the yeast will not start up again to clean up the diacetyl. Hopefully you don't mind a few more %ABV.:drunk:

Is the yeast flocculated? Unless you have some more fermentables, the yeast will not start up again to clean up the diacetyl. Hopefully you don't mind a few more %ABV.:drunk:

I'm thinking of making a quart or two of wort and adding it in, perhaps with another package of yeast. Do I need to let it ferment cold again before I warm it up for a diacetyl rest or can I just leave it at 65?

You will need the temps to be at a D-rest range. No need to add any yeast. Remember that you may not see a difference after, this whole "yeast eating diacetyl when adding fermentables" is more theory than practice. They will eat some diacetyl, but it may not be enough to make the beer drinkable.

Back