Diacetyl Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCutter

Reaction score
I have made my first lager, an Octoberfest, and I'm still getting a hint of diacetyl at terminal G and I was wondering if lagering will clean any of it up.

11.5# Vienna
6.5# Munich
5.5# Pilsner,
Single infusion at 156 for 60 min.
SG 1.059
Fermented at 50 f for 7 days, G 1.024. Very strong Diacetyl taste, let temp free rise up to 62 f, for a D-rest. I left it at that temp for
another 7 days, G 1.013, (should be terminal). I'm still getting getting some diacetyl, not as bad, but it's still there. I just don't know what to do about it. I'm hoping some of you experienced lager brewers can help me out.
Thanks,
Eric

Not experienced lager brewing, as I currently have just my second lager fermenting right now (also an Oktoberfest), but yy first lager was a Helles and I was getting somewhat of a diacetyl taste even after the rest, however after 30+ days lagering and another 3 weeks in the bottles, it was completely gone. So my advice is to let it lager out and age and hopefully it will be fine.

What yeast did you use? Some yeast strains that are recommended for Oktoberfest tend to produce more of a diacetyl flavor then others. For mine I used White Labs 833 German Bock as it was recommended on an old Brewing Network show on Oktoberfest style.

Yeah, that's one of the yeast strains that I was thinking about. Per Wyeast site description for it: "A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete."

Seven days sounds thorough enough for me since a normal one is 3 days, therefore I think you are alright as it will fade after the lager period and bottle/keg aging time.

I have never had good luck trying to lager out diacetyl. If the beer is warm, at expected FG, and you can still taste diacetyl, then the only remedy that I know if is krausening the beer. Make a starter with some fresh yeast (does not matter what kind, ale or lager, as your flavor profile is already set). While the starter is still in high krausen (12-24 hours), pitch the entire contents into your beer. This will add fresh yeast and a little bit of remaining fermentables. The fresh yeast will finish eating the fermentables, then clean up any remaining diacetyl. I have had great results with this when I was too late with the d-rest.

Ok, thanks, I've already transfered to secondary, I'll just start ramping it
back down then.

NOOOOO!

It'll get far worse with lagering, not better. The fix would be to continue the diaceytl rest, and possibly even increase the temperature. If you've already racked, it may be too late but I'd give it a try. Do NOT lager until there is NO hint of diacetyl, as it will go from a hint of diaceytl to a butter bomb with lagering.

If the extended diacetyl rest doesn't help, the only fix would be krausening.

NOOOOO!

It'll get far worse with lagering, not better. The fix would be to continue the diaceytl rest, and possibly even increase the temperature. If you've already racked, it may be too late but I'd give it a try. Do NOT lager until there is NO hint of diacetyl, as it will go from a hint of diaceytl to a butter bomb with lagering.

If the extended diacetyl rest doesn't help, the only fix would be krausening.

Thanks Yooper, It sounds like my only option at this point then would be to krausen, because I had already let the temp rise to 68 f for about 36 hours before I racked to secondary. Do you have any idea about the best yeast to use, I've got some washed Irish ale 1084, Scottish ale 1728, and some Weihestephan wheat 3068 in the fridge, or some safale 05 and 04 dry. Also what size starter would you recommend, I have 2- 5 gal. carboys of this.

Back