Diacetyl in Lager 2 weeks into lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbeh

Reaction score
Making a Stella Clone for the Father In law.

https://beerrecipes.org/Recipe/2584/stella-clone.html

OG came in a LITTLE high but I also had an extra LBS of malt to try and adjust for inefficiencies.

8 Days fermented at 53 degrees - it had pretty much stopped bubbling for 2 days (bubble every 1 minute). Pulled it for 3 days (day 1 came up to 64) for a Diacetyl rest. Racked to secondary on day 11 and put in the fridge at 39.

It's 14 days into lagering and I took a sample and now I know what Diacetyl tastes like! (I will be honest, as shitty as it is I was kind of excited to have that aha moment).

My question, is there anything I can do at this point? Will it mellow with time? It wasn't crazy strong but I could definitely taste some butter in there.

Thanks,
Robb

I would take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature for another couple of days.

I brought my ale (not a lager) out of it by dumping the pressure and adding a 1/4 packet of Nottingham (sprinkled into keg) to clean it up. I removed the gas in post and added an airlock (with about 3/4" tubing to hold it in place) to it for 5 days. When I came back from my business trip (the reason for the 5 days) my sample was diacetyl-free.

I'd take it out of the cold, and just to make sure, pitch a small active starter.

Thanks for the advice, I thought that might be the case but didn’t want to do it without some form or confirmation. I don’t have any lager yeast ATM but I’ll just do another rest and test in 3 days.

Thanks guys, always a help on the forum.

Nottingham is an ale yeast. It should not affect the flavor of the lager since it's already fermented.
Should have picked up on that, use that yeast quite a bit. She’s out of the fridge and a little SO4 added to help out.

8 Days fermented at 53 degrees - it had pretty much stopped bubbling for 2 days (bubble every 1 minute). Pulled it for 3 days (day 1 came up to 64) for a Diacetyl rest. Racked to secondary on day 11 and put in the fridge at 39.

It's 14 days into lagering and I took a sample and now I know what Diacetyl tastes like!
This is a perfect example of why it's best to do your changes based on SG, NOT based on any certain day into fermentation. Irregardless if it's because the recipe says so, or someone told you to do a certain schedule, or even if you've done it this way for a dozen batches. Yeast didn't read the book- they ferment based on their own schedule.
I do like homebrewer99's idea of warming it up and adding a little ale yeast. That'll work!

This is a perfect example of why it's best to do your changes based on SG, NOT based on any certain day into fermentation. Irregardless if it's because the recipe says so, or someone told you to do a certain schedule, or even if you've done it this way for a dozen batches. Yeast didn't read the book- they ferment based on their own schedule.
I do like homebrewer99's idea of warming it up and adding a little ale yeast. That'll work!
Oh man, lessons learned!! I’ve been pretty good about sticking to the book but I always find it tough to take gravity readings all the time since I hate sanitizing my wine theif and pulling beer.

No excuses now. Carbon pulled with a little sO4 in it. I’ll leave it for a few days and taste test it.

You may not like taking gravity reading with a thief, but if you place the hydrometer IN the thief you pull out less beer than if you filled a hydrometer test tube.

Plus, most of us drink every test sample to make sure it's on it's way to tasting great.

FWIW, MOST recipes are NOT GOSPEL. I've learned to read recipes as if they were: "This is what I did and how long it took me to do it" information sheets.

You may not like taking gravity reading with a thief, but if you place the hydrometer IN the thief you pull out less beer than if you filled a hydrometer test tube.

Plus, most of us drink every test sample to make sure it's on it's way to tasting great.

FWIW, MOST recipes are NOT GOSPEL. I've learned to read recipes as if they were: "This is what I did and how long it took me to do it" information sheets.
I did just that, no gravity ready but I made sure to give her a little taste. I am happy to report no Diacetyl! Ended up being out for 48 hours with a pinch of S04.

Cooling her back down for another few weeks. Think after 6 weeks at 4deg C I should be able to bottle prime?

Back