Diacetly Rest necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
I am preparing to brew my first Oktoberfest early July and had a question about fermentation and diacetly rests. My plan was post boil to cool down the wort and my WLP833 yeast starter to 50 degrees in my fermentation chamber. Once fermentation temp is reached i will then decant and pour my yeast starter into the fermenter. My question is since i am pitching my cold crashed yeast yeast starter do i really need to raise the temp back up for a diacetly rest? my thought was I could skip this step and go straight to lagering for 1 to 2 months.

Give it an extended cold fermentation for 3-4 weeks in primary then proceed to laagering. I have never incorporated a diacytel rest. If you give the yeast longer time to work at fermentation temperature the diacytel will be absorbed...all a D-Rest does is speed up the process. I don't find in necessary.

Give it an extended cold fermentation for 3-4 weeks in primary then proceed to laagering. I have never incorporated a diacytel rest. If you give the yeast longer time to work at fermentation temperature the diacytel will be absorbed...all a D-Rest does is speed up the process. I don't find in necessary.

thats what I was thinking of doing anyways a 3 week primary fermentation. Thanks for the quick feedback!

I am preparing to brew my first Oktoberfest early July and had a question about fermentation and diacetly rests. My plan was post boil to cool down the wort and my WLP833 yeast starter to 50 degrees in my fermentation chamber. Once fermentation temp is reached i will then decant and pour my yeast starter into the fermenter. My question is since i am pitching my cold crashed yeast yeast starter do i really need to raise the temp back up for a diacetly rest? my thought was I could skip this step and go straight to lagering for 1 to 2 months.

Some of this will be anecdotal:

I have used this yeast before many times and have had little to no diacetyl production present that I could taste or my friends could pick up while fermenting at a low temperature. In some studies, which I have cited on my blog, I found that diacetyl hangs in the 0.1ppm range when fermenting at this temp which seems to be the threshold to where most people can taste it. I personally think that if you will be fermenting that long and that cold that a diacetyl rest will be overkill and most likely not necessary. You could always just raise the temp up for one day prior to kegging just to be sure though if you are really worried about it.

I always perform a Diacetyl rest for 24-48hours at 62*F after fermenting at 50-52 for a minimum of 14 days... then transfer to keg / secondary for lager storage .

Latest posts

Back