Diabolo Extract Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CU_tony

Reaction score
I have been brewing BIAB all grain since I started, but I recently acquired a Diabolo can as part of a bulk equipment buy.
I want to make this up today and I know that prehopped LME can be made without a boil, but since its an old can I feel like the hops may have dissipated a bit. I also want to bump up the recipe from ~2.3 gallons to 2.75 gallons (small difference but it should help to cover trub losses)

I punched in what I could figure out in beersmith, and I wanted to see if I could get any feedback on this:
3.3lbs LME (the can)
1lb DME light
12oz corn sugar

The DME and corn sugar take place of and add a little to the 500g of table sugar that the recipe calls for. Should I use table sugar instead and recalculate? I based these numbers off entering the original recipe amount and tweaking details till I got to the right OG, than increased batch size and tweaked again.

Regarding the hops, I dont know if I should boil any of the above ingredients or just boil a gallon or two of water with one of the following:
1 oz Sonnet 3.9% (free, old)
1oz Wakatu 7% (free, old)
1oz Rakau 10.7% (free, old)
Cascade 6.6%
Citra 12.5%
Simcoe 12.7%
Centennial 7.6%
Amarillo 7.3%
Nugget
Equinox 13.4% (small amount that I apparently didnt measure before bagging)

So I guess the questions are
1) should I use DME (as much as I have) and corn sugar or just stick with table sugar? Do those weights look suitable?
2) Is it worth adding hops and should I do a full boil, or make a hop tea to add?

This is Brewferm Diabolo? I made this once and liked it, but it wasn't much like Duvel (it's model, I think). It was much darker.

I really don't have an opinion on what you should do. Adding DME would make in stronger, more flavorful, but Belgian styles typically use sugar to keep them light for their ABV. My Diabolo didn't have any Duvel-y lightness to it. Maybe you give up on lightness and add some DME.

Hops: Were you adding them for bittering or for flavor? It looks like flavor (how long were you going to boil for?). Personally, I don't really like hop flavor in darker Belgians. I think the dissipation of the hops from the can would relate to hop flavor (of which it had little to begin with).

Possibly the best change you could do is buy fresh yeast. But I used the kit yeast myself, and the beer was good.

A quick update..
I made a starter and pitched the packaged yeast into that since I read that brewferm has their own yeasts yada yada, I made the starter and it was clearly active so I ended up using the questionable packet of yeast after adding it to a starter.

I added the rest of my 1 lb DME that I didnt use for the starter as well as 8oz table sugar and 8os corn sugar after bringing 2.5 gallons of water to a boil.
I boiled for a few minutes and didnt see anyhting I would call a hot break so I added .5oz sonnet (nice tea aroma) and set the timer for 15
I added .25 at 5min
I added the last .25oz at flame out when I dumped the warmed LME, then filled the can with warm water and dumped, then I scraped the can to get some more goo out, then I said F it and dunked the can in the steaming wort and swished it around with the paddle to get the last of the extract out.
I cooled under 70, pitched the yeast, and actually let it sit in an ice bath to bring it down another degree or two so I wouldnt tax my new ferm chamber too much.

After two days its happily farting away through the blow off tube which it needed as the earliest parts of fermentation that I didnt witness left some yeasty residue in the tube and blow off bucket.

Also, I nearly hit the OG on the mark, was supposed to be 1.080 and I had 1.079... not too shabby if I dont say so myself!!

LASTLY, the wort was probably the most delicious Ive tasted yet, it was like sweet molasses, which was probably a main ingredient to the LME. That being said, I need to find some recipes that include molasses because I think I might be in love with it!

Latest posts

Back