Di Saronno in my Brown Ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shauntraxler

Reaction score
I know this has been done multiple times, but none of the threads have any real definitive answers.

I want to make an Almond nut brown using amaretto. I plan to add it into the secondary, but the quantity is what I'm unsure of. I am only going to make a 2.25ga batch. I want the sweetness to be somewhat of an undertone to the nuttiness of the malt.

Anyone have any ideas for starting points? 200ml (~1/4 of a fifth) and add almond extract to taste at bottling? Please help!

:)

When making almond stout, I usually throw a whole bottle (think it's 750ml) into 40L at the point of packaging (ie. cask, keg, or bottle). If you're bottling, I'd just add it in along with your priming sugar, give it a good stir. By the time things are fizzy, it should be nice and almond-y.

When making almond stout, I usually throw a whole bottle (think it's 750ml) into 40L at the point of packaging (ie. cask, keg, or bottle). If you're bottling, I'd just add it in along with your priming sugar, give it a good stir. By the time things are fizzy, it should be nice and almond-y.

I don't like that idea mainly because amaretto is highly fermentable. Sounds like sure bottle bombs unless I do painful calculations to figure out how much liqueur and how much sugar to add... I don't want to do that again. I just went through that with bananas. lol. :ban:

I would say take a sample of young beer, adding small measured amounts until you find the taste you are looking for... then scale up your measurement... then again I like sampling

I would say take a sample of young beer, adding small measured amounts until you find the taste you are looking for... then scale up your measurement... then again I like sampling

Noted. Was just wondering if anyone had any "SURE" measurements. But hey, I guess homebrew is mostly to personal taste and no one ever has any sure measurements.

Thanks for the response. :)

*RESURRECTING DEAD THREAD*

Just wanted to say that I finally brewed a nut brown and just racked into the secondary over 300ml of DiSaronno Amaretto. The batch volume was 5ga.

I will let the interested parties know how this works out.

Shaun, how did it go? I'm brewing a small batch (2 gallon or a bit more) of a chocolate covered cherry stout tonight, and plan on adding the amaretto in secondary.

Hey Jon,

I actually have my first bottle in the fridge tonight. I plan to crack it later tonight. However, I know it is going to be undercarbed, I just couldn't wait to taste it!

I'll let you know later. :)

Shaun, how'd it turn out?

Sorry. I had no idea any even responded to this. Didn't show up in my CP. Anywho, it turned out good. It's a great, nutty, brew. But the DiSaronno didn't come forth like I had hoped. I even bottled with a bit of almond extract, and still not a prominent almond flavor. It's a good beer though. :)

Congrats on making an excellent brew! Good thing that the reason to celebrate also provides the means of celebration.

Any advice on how much more Di sarronno you would add to get more of the flavor to your liking?

Well, since Amaretto is highly fermentable, I'm not sure if adding a lot more would even improve the flavor that dramatically... When I do this again, I will likely increase DiSaronno to an entire 750ml and taste at bottling to see whether additional Almond extract should be used...

Anyhow, I just put 300 ml of disaronno into my primary (post fermentation) last night... along with 3 lbs cherry puree... in a 2 gallon stout. Yes, I have issues. Will report back.

Anyhow, I just put 300 ml of disaronno into my primary (post fermentation) last night... along with 3 lbs cherry puree... in a 2 gallon stout. Yes, I have issues. Will report back.

I'm very interested in this for a couple of reasons... You more than doubled my ratio of amaretto to beer. AWESOME. And, I had already decided that since amaretto somehow imparts a cherry flavor, I was going to use some cherries in an attempt to bring out the DiSaronno flavor.. Best of luck and pleaaaase keep me updated...

Definitely interested in how this turned out. Planning a small test batch of an orange brown ale...a little almond might make things interesting.

Report: I made beer. The beer tastes not of cherry. The beer tastes not of amaretto. The beer tastes of... beer? I detect no contamination. I believe the sugar in the amaretto and cherries both were fermented (not sure how much) in secondary. Chocolate? My girlfriend contends the beer tastes of dark chocolate. I get that, but I'm not sure. In approximating chocolate covered cherries: a failure. In making good beer? A success. It's a dry porter (thanks to the added fruit, disaronno sugar), with some notes of something, damned if I can call it cherry or almond or whatever. So be it. At least the ABV is a bit higher. :)

For those who want to know:
2 gallon batch

3.3 Dark LME (coopers)
.3 (I think?) lbs chocolate malt

Yeast: Safale S-04

Primary (post-fermentation... 7 days...):
350 ml Disarrono;
3 lbs cherry puree (Vintner's Choice)

Bottling: added 1 oz cocoa powder w/ priming sugar

Hmmmmmm, that's strange you got little to no cherry flavor. I know they're highly fermentable, but it still seems like you should've gotten something. Maybe the next time I brew this, I'll do something with real almonds.

Back