DFH - World Wide Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psywar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello!

So the WWS is one of my fav. beers and I was hoping someone has made a clone of this or something similar.
I know the chances of me hitting the 20%ABV mark is pretty slim so I am not super concerned with that.

I did some google searching and I came up with one that someone did back in 2006. However, I don't fully understand their recipe. I also have no idea how they got the ABV as high as they did because when I added all the stuff into Beer Smith it only came to around 11%ABV

They also had 16oz of dry hops and with all the other hops they added it was like 211IBU which seems way too high.

If anyone has any ideas or have made it if you could post up your stuff that would be awesome.
Actually, if you have Beer Smith and can add it to the cloud for me to look at and tinker with that would be excellent too.

I am still only an Extract brewer so I will have to use Beer Smith to convert and I was considering just making a 1 or 2-gallon test batch as well.

Thank you guys for your time and any help.

Yesterday I picked up 4 bottles of their new Oak Aged Vanilla World Wide Stout. I am looking forward to letting a few bottles age and drinking one this weekend.

20799369_10212178669975300_5369380809124795158_n.jpg

Aight - I have some advice on brewing this type of beer - I recently made a batch that got up to 18% (and could have kept going but it was getting REALLY boozy).

First read this:
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/28807295/high-gravity-fermentation-1pdf-by-tyler-king-quaff

From my recollection DFH WWS isn't super roasty, but more mellow and dark fruit. I would probably shoot for...

-8-10% Roast - Chocolate mainly, some RB or BP
-3-5% Crystal - mainly Special B or Crystal 120
-10% Oats/Wheat for funsies and to really play with the decadence/full moutfeel (this beer, despite 20% abv, will come off thinner due to the higher ratio of alcohol to residual sugars).
-And per most DFH beers, probably 3-5% Amber Malt (or some brown - this will add complexity and nuttiness; both of which WWS has)

Shoot for an OG of 1.100-1.104 with all malt. Once fermentation peaks and starts to taper start your sugar additions. For my 10 gallon recipe I did 50/50 split of 12oz/6oz sugar additions (with a touch of DAP) to get my OG up to 1.170 - my FG was around 1.030. I mashed at 153 and used WLP001. Fermentation temp is a MUST, if it gets too warm its going to get boozy fast. I fermented at 64 F, and when I switched to my 6 oz additions, I let the temperature free rise to 68 (for diacetyl rest)

Hope this helps, and let us know if you attempt it!

Thank you!
I was looking at the 120min clone for ideas on what might be in the beer and how to get it into the 18-20% range.

I will likely attempt this beer this year. When I do I will make a new post about it and let ya'll know how it turns out.

Just an addition to this old discussion... I did this old '06 WWS clone recipe, and just got it on tap a couple days ago. Notes:
Had to convert partial grain to all grain for my purposes...if someone becomes interested I'll post what I actually used.

It has aged for about 3-4 months now. Still VERY hoppy. I would cut back on the dry hopping of I did it again.

Recipe costs $150 to brew for a five gallon batch (gulp!)

Does not have the depth of the original WWS but I'm going to let it sit a little longer before I pass judgement. I will say that the fact that the original bottle has coffee beans as a background and this recipe has no coffee in it is suspect...but not conclusive.

VERY hard to get the alcohol up to ~18%. Mine got to 12% I pitched two batches of champagne yeast (2nd pitch) with good starters to no avail. Probably why the back end is still so hoppy. oh, and I quit dry-hopping after 7 days...even that seemed excessive.

All in all, it is a solid, complex beer...but not world wide stout. Not sure what it will be in three more months. the fact that it's an aging beer changes things. The way my tap room works...If it's ok now it won't last long enough for me to find out.

My wife loves the original and requested this clone (of course the most expensive I've done by far)...and she won't touch it without a sharp cheese to go with.
-Rawhide

Just an addition to this old discussion... I did this old '06 WWS clone recipe, and just got it on tap a couple days ago. Notes:
Had to convert partial grain to all grain for my purposes...if someone becomes interested I'll post what I actually used.

It has aged for about 3-4 months now. Still VERY hoppy. I would cut back on the dry hopping of I did it again.

Recipe costs $150 to brew for a five gallon batch (gulp!)

Does not have the depth of the original WWS but I'm going to let it sit a little longer before I pass judgement. I will say that the fact that the original bottle has coffee beans as a background and this recipe has no coffee in it is suspect...but not conclusive.

VERY hard to get the alcohol up to ~18%. Mine got to 12% I pitched two batches of champagne yeast (2nd pitch) with good starters to no avail. Probably why the back end is still so hoppy. oh, and I quit dry-hopping after 7 days...even that seemed excessive.

All in all, it is a solid, complex beer...but not world wide stout. Not sure what it will be in three more months. the fact that it's an aging beer changes things. The way my tap room works...If it's ok now it won't last long enough for me to find out.

My wife loves the original and requested this clone (of course the most expensive I've done by far)...and she won't touch it without a sharp cheese to go with.
-Rawhide
If you ever brew something like this again do what DFH and others do. Plan to have a target OG of around 1.100 and use a robust yeast or even 2. DO NOT use champagne yeast. It can't metabolize maltose or maltotriose. Instead use something like WLP099. Once primary is almost done do dextrose additions twice a day and aerate if needed. Make sure to at least agitate the yeast to drive CO2 out of solution.

Latest posts

Back