DeuS Brut Des Flandres Belgian Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelsongg

Reaction score
I tried a bottle of this a few days ago. Great fruity taste at the beginning followed by an interesting alcohol flavor to end. Almost like drinking a cocktail. 11.5% abv. Here is a short description from Wiki:

DeuS (Brut Des Flandres) is a premium Belgian beer manufactured in Buggenhout, Belgium. Brewed by Bosteels, it is 11.5% ABV and served in 75cl bottles. During the brewing process, it is fermented over a month with two yeasts, re-fermented near Epernay in Champagne, France and then bottled, after which it is left in a cellar for 9 months and rotated for a week, and then the yeast removed.

Although I'm just a noob (7 batches) extract brewer, but thinking about trying a partial mash, does anyone have a recipe that would come close to matching the abv of this Belgian Ale? I understand that it would probably take a year or more before it's drinkable, but I'm willing to wait.

Thanks,
Greg

I don't think merely getting a recipe would be enough for this type of beer. I honestly dont think it would turn out that great with extract either. Partial mash could get close. Not trying to shoot you down or anything.

This style is called "Bière de Champagne". Its fermented to a pretty high ABV, which can be hard enough by itself. I'm not 100% sure, but it probably undergoes some amount of wild yeast fermentation to dry it out some and bring out the fruitiness. They also use the "methode de champenoise" to remove the yeast from the bottle once it is carbonated. Thats what the "rotated for a week" refers to in the description.

I'd say get an easier style of beer under your belt for the first PM brew. No use spending close to a year aging/bottling only to find out that you fudged the PM a little.

If you want a beer that is higer in alcohol and would taste somewhat similar, try a Belgian Golden Strong or Trippel. They will give you that dry/tart flavor and be much easier to brew.

Sorry. I guess my post came off a little harsh. I'm not saying the Methode Champenoise is impossible or really trying do dissuade him. I was just trying to put in a reality check.

Actually there is a recipe in BYO's 150 clone recipe book. I'm going to try this soon. It does involve using multiple yeasts and a metric butt load of corn sugar. But hey why not?

Sorry. I guess my post came off a little harsh. I'm not saying the Methode Champenoise is impossible or really trying do dissuade him. I was just trying to put in a reality check.

Not at all harsh. I have always said that my main fault is that I don't take criticism well...unless it's contructive. That was definantly constructive. Thanks for the alternative suggestions.

Greg

Back