Deschutes starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoviceBrewer420

Chef, Baker, Apprentice Brewer/ Rookie Homebrewer
Reaction score
Anyone ever make a Deschutes yeast starter? I plan on starting one today. I want to do a blonde ale with it. Will let y'all know how this goes. Cheers

i'm not familiar with trying something like that....i've had trouble getting beer siphoned off the cake even to referment.....

i'd imagine, if it ferments it would probably be wild yeast?

So Des
i'm not familiar with trying something like that....i've had trouble getting beer siphoned off the cake even to referment.....
Deschutes adds live yeast to the bottle to bottle condition and I'm gonna save a 1/4 in off a few bottles and pitch it in some LME in a mason jar. Should work well. Also you can't buy there yeast since t proprietary to them

i've drank it before, don't remember it having any sediment at the bottom of the bottle.....that would be bad for a semi big beer company...:mug:
It's part of there slogan on the side of there beer they say it allows it to age gracefully. Check it out next time you get some

Check it out next time you get some

i stopped buying beer along time ago....but keep me/us posted on how it works! i just know yeast still in suspension don't taste good, and figure their lying....

i have repitched the yeast cake from the bottom of an empty keg before with decent results, but it was a sedimental cake....my thought no yeast sediment, and it's done fermenting? then no yeast...

It's part of there slogan on the side of there beer they say it allows it to age gracefully. Check it out next time you get some
You can also do
i stopped buying beer along time ago....but keep me/us posted on how it works! i just know yeast still in suspension don't taste good, and figure their lying....

i have repitched the yeast cake from the bottom of an empty keg before with decent results, but it was a sedimental cake....my thought no yeast sediment, and it's done fermenting? then no yeast...
That makes since but once yeast is done doing its job it goes dormant from my understanding. But yes I will keep y'all updated with pics

Also you can't buy there yeast since t proprietary to them
FYI there can be no patents on yeast, not even in the US, so there is no such thing as a "proprietary yeast". My money is on one of the common American yeast strains you can buy from several suppliers, the only problem is there is no way of finding out which strain it is unless you have the capabilities to do gene sequencing.

Last edited:
I've successfully harvested Bell's yeast from Two Hearted multiple times...it's not that hard honestly. I've bottle harvested from other breweries as well. To be honest I've just been using Chico strain (1056 or 001) in all my non-NEIPA IPAs, I just brewed a Deschutes Fresh Squeezed clone with Chico that came out phenomenal. I've brewed Two Hearted clones with bottle harvested yeast, Bell's House Yeast from Imperial (A62)... and I always seem to prefer Chico in those style IPAs.

I know you said your going to do a blone ale, what Deschutes beer were you planning on harvesting from? I know Bell's uses the same yeast for almost all their beers except a select few, not sure if Deschutes does the same.

Bottle harvesting is fun, and it's a good side project but I wouldn't rely on it soley, it's not like you are getting some magical yeast. As others have mentioned there's likely a commercial yeast variant that is or almost identical to whatever yeast Deschutes is using.

Def have a backup plan incase that bottle harvested starter goes sour :(

To be honest I've just been using Chico strain (1056 or 001) in all my non-NEIPA IPAs, I just brewed a Deschutes Fresh Squeezed clone with Chico that came out phenomenal.

FWIW, Wyeast 1056 and WLP001 are not the same strain. Historically, they've both been called "Chico" by brewers, and they perform somewhat similarly, but genetically they are different strains.

FWIW, Wyeast 1056 and WLP001 are not the same strain. Historically, they've both been called "Chico" by brewers, and they perform somewhat similarly, but genetically they are different strains.

Good point, I was using the term strain pretty loosely, maybe Chico variant or something of that nature would have been more accurate. I know all the "Chico variants" aren't identical but like you said they perform somewhat similar and are generally used for the same applications.

My point was that bottle harvesting doesn't always give you a unique yeast, there's usually some commercially available equivalent, etc. available. And sometimes you might actually like another yeast in a certain beer better than the yeast from the bottle, in my case I prefer 1056 or 001 in my Two Hearted clone vs either bottle harvested Bell's yeast or Imperial's Bell's House Yeast Strain.

Regarding patents, you cannot patent something that is considered "a product of Nature" i.e. most yeast strains. However, if I went in and tinkered with the genome of a yeast to engineer an altered strain that had a particular application, I could patent it. This is happening, but because of the genetic engineering aspect these altered strains are unlikely to gain widespread use.

Latest posts

Back