Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Der Wolpertinger Hard root Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyRaven

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale American US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 to 10
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Chocolate, root beer, finishes with wintergreen
This one began life as an oatmeal stout and has become my most requested brew on tap. I have made versions with Zatarain's and with Gnome root beer extract. Both are good but they have different characters. The Zatarain's is a more traditional spicy root beer: less sweet, more spices coming through, with a strong wintergreen finish. The Gnome root beer extract produces more of a mellow root beer soda pop type flavor.

• 9 lbs Pale malt - 2 row
  • 2 lbs flaked oatmeal - toasted lightly
  • 1 lb Caravienne malt
  • 1 lb Chocolate malt
  • 1 oz Hallertau - 30 min
  • 1 lb milk sugar (lactose) - 15 min

Safale US-05 yeast pitched directly onto the cooled wort (if this disturbs your sensibilities, please use a starter)
Just before bottling or kegging, add the root beer extract of your choice and backsweeten to taste.

Because I am kegging this, I stabilize with campden tablets and potassium sorbate before I add the additional sugars. If you are bottling, you will want to pasteurize after the bottles reach the appropriate level of carbonation (see the sticky on stove top pasteurization if you aren't familiar with the process).

I find that I have to add a substantial amount of sugar (around 2 pounds of table sugar) to get the right sweetness for me. Honey really adds to the smoothness of the final taste if you want to go that route.

This is my first real recipe, so please be gentle. :)

Back