Denmark Malt Beer - seems like a mild - need recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a friend who has spent some time in Denmark and she raves about "Denmark Malt Beer." Upon further investigation, this is the beer she is talking about.

Here is how she describes it:

"Flavor is very sweet, with hints of dark grapes, roasted malt, caramel, chocolate, toffee and molasses."

I showed her the BJCP description of a Dark English Mild and she said that it is very close, if not a little too high for ABV (I know, I know:confused:). Should I try a recipe for a dark mild scaled down slightly?

She said that this example is slightly lighter in color than she remembers her beer being.

Here's my best guess for a partial mash recipe:

OG 1.023
FG 1.009
SRM 18
IBU 11 (0.48 IBU:GU ratio)

Mini mash at 154 degrees F with:
2.5# Marris Otter
8oz C-120
6oz C-60
4oz Pale Chocolate (225L)
2oz Black Patent (500L)

Add 12 oz Extra Pale DME, boil for 60 min (that's not a typo)

0.5oz EKG at 60min boil

WLP002 English Ale Yeast

This seems pretty thin to me. I am hopping to get some good flavor from the Crystal and Pale Chocolate. Should I use Maltodextrin?

I have never had a mild, but I've heard that it is a very drinkable, yet complex beer. It seems like it would be tricky with that low of an ABV...but I really don't know.

What do you think?

Eric

I realize that many of you have never tried this specific type of beer, so maybe someone can help with questions that are more specific to making a british mild. I have always wanted to try this style, but it is very hard to find here. (Come to think of it, I haven't actively searched, but I have never found it casually. I need to call Oak Hill Liquor tomorrow.)

1. She describe the beer as sweet. The above recipe finishes at 1009, which will probably be too dry. What can I add to make it finish sweeter (I know, mash temp...this is partial mash though).

2. As far as yeast, I am torn between WLP002 and WLP005. Opinions?

Thanks.

Eric

This may be bumping a forgotten/dead thread, BUT should you want to try recreating a traditional Danish Malt Beer (also known as Nisse-øl) here are some general pointers.. First of I'm surprised she liked it! I always considered it an acquired taste that Danes drink more out of tradition than pleasure. Secondly, it is kind of far from a British Dark Mild - in that Danish Malt is:
1. It is ridiculously sweet! (Potentially the sweetest drink I can imagine)
2. It has even slighter bitterness (barely detectable)
3. Has about 50% less ABV (1.5-2.2%)

At large (commercial) danish breweries they simply filter the beer just after a certain fermentation has taken place. Then they force carbonate and bottle.
Most craft brewers / home brewers can't do that. As I see it there are two home-brew solutions to the issue of getting ridiculous amount of sugar in there.

1. Interrupt fermentation at an FG corresponding to about 2% ABV and pasteurize (or would that leave undesirable yeast by-products?). Then keg.. - NB: Aim for a higher OG than in the outlined recipe.. (10-15+)
2. Do the mash at very high temperatures to leave as many unfermentables as possible in the wort. And maybe decoction as well.

Good luck

Back