Demerara sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAndo

Reaction score
The husband's answer to 'golden' sugar was to come back from the shop with some light Demerara! Has anyone used this is cider before? What are the results? I'm probably going to use one cup per gallon.

I also am considering using it later, when bottling, for carbonation.

Any thoughts? :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Demerara adds a nice flavor. I don't think it adds as much caramel character as dark brown sugar, but I would use it before I would use White Table Sugar.

I believe it's just a Turbinado "like" sugar. I do use Turbinado in some ciders. Little stronger molasses flavor then regular brown sugar

I mixed up a gallon today, including a cup of Demerara, and there is a layer of froth forming on top, so something is happening! :)

I've used turbinado sugar in my ciders quite a bit and that adds a nice flavor. I think demerara and turbinado are close, but not exactly, the same. I'd use it. (Google-fu confirms my thought - turbinado is just slightly more processed/less molasses than demerara, so I'm sure it will make good cider)

What is golden sugar?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

This:
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393889865.729475.jpg

As I understand it, it's basically just a less refined version of normal, white table sugar. I like it better as it has a richer flavour, and I prefer to use it in baking, rather than just white. For the same reasons, I wanted to use it for cider making.

Of all the variations on granulated sugar I don't think there's much flavor difference you can't immediately understand from looking at the color. Dark turbinado, light demerara... it's all the same, you just get an idea of the molasses flavor level from the color, I say.

Thanks. I've just never heard of a sugar reverted to as golden and haven't seen this particular product at the store before. I can get turbinado and demerara in bulk though, so I haven't really looked all that hard.

Thanks. I've just never heard of a sugar reverted to as golden and haven't seen this particular product at the store before. I can get turbinado and demerara in bulk though, so I haven't really looked all that hard.

I've only started noticing it on the shelves since about five years ago. Now there seem to be a couple more brands offering this product.

Latest posts

Back