Delicious beer? Or infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devantf

Reaction score
My first batch after a long break.... Does Star San go bad? I am about to transfer to secondary and I found the top had a film on it. It might be yeast? The beer smells great. Thanks for the input guys!

image.jpg

Looks like yeast to me. If you're about to transfer to secondary, I assume it's been in primary for, what, maybe a week? Rather than transfer and risk infection and/or oxidation, just leave it there for another couple of weeks and bottle/keg.

That looks pretty normal to me. What yeast was that?
As mentioned above, there is rarely a need for secondaries. A fruit beer can be an exception, and something you are going to put on oak for a long time is another. Ignore the instructions on secondary that came with the kit and let it sit another couple more weeks in the primary, then follow the rest of the instructions.

Thanks for the quick replies! It's been 2 weeks, I thought it would be done fermenting now.... I guess I'll take a gravity. It was wyeast American 2 1046? I was just wanted it to get off of the yeast cake... Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back