deleting style guides in beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themox

Reaction score
Hi guys,

In the options, I often use the guidelines from the BJCP 2015 for my beers, but also use the AABC 2010 when making aussie beers. Is there any way, in the options menu, of selecting just those 2, rather than each individually - or all of them (which includes the old BJCP and FADOL ones?)

can the last ones be deleted without anything stuffing anything up? If so, how?

not sure Im following right but you can remove add on guidlines by going to Add ons and deleting the ones you dont want.

not sure Im following right but you can remove add on guidlines by going to Add ons and deleting the ones you dont want.

i mean that when you select which display style guidelines you want to use
(in the options menu under 'brewing'), you can choose either 1 of them, or all of them. i want to just choose 2. i currently have 4 possible options. bjcp 2008, aabc 2010, bjcp 2015 and fadol 2007.

bjcp 2015 and aabc 2010. i don't want to use the fadol 2007 or bjcp 2008. so i want to know if i can remove these last two from being options. in this way i hope to be able to then 'select all' and it will only mean i'm using the two i want to.

hope that makes sense.

i mean that when you select which display style guidelines you want to use
(in the options menu under 'brewing'), you can choose either 1 of them, or all of them. i want to just choose 2.

You can permanently remove the guidelines that you don't want. It's a bit of a pain, but you'll only need to do it once.

In BeerSmith, go to Options and choose to view All Style Guides.

Then: File > Open File > ...Documents/BeerSmith2 > Style1. This will open a backup styles database.

You may need to add a column to see which guidelines are associated with the styles. This is accomplished by right clicking the column bar in the window, then adding "Style Guide."

You can now delete the guidelines you don't want to see. This is a permanent change to the database, so don't delete more than you need to. Once complete, close the window and click "yes" to save. Then close BeerSmith.

Go to ...Documents/BeerSmith2 and find Style. You'll see this and more with added 1-5. These are backups. BeerSmith reads the Style file when it opens and creates backups of all databases when it closes. The Style1 backup should be the one you modified. It'll be a significantly smaller file than any of the others.

Delete Style and rename Style1 to Style. When you reopen BeerSmith, your Options will still read "All Style Guides," but your choices should be limited to only the styles you want to see.

I'm not really in favor of this sort of destructive editing, but it's the only real way to accomplish what you're asking. I'd make a backup of the Style database just in case of any future needs. It can easily be inserted.

You can permanently remove the guidelines that you don't want. It's a bit of a pain, but you'll only need to do it once.

In BeerSmith, go to Options and choose to view All Style Guides.

Then: File > Open File > ...Documents/BeerSmith2 > Style1. This will open a backup styles database.

You may need to add a column to see which guidelines are associated with the styles. This is accomplished by right clicking the column bar in the window, then adding "Style Guide."

You can now delete the guidelines you don't want to see. This is a permanent change to the database, so don't delete more than you need to. Once complete, close the window and click "yes" to save. Then close BeerSmith.

Go to ...Documents/BeerSmith2 and find Style. You'll see this and more with added 1-5. These are backups. BeerSmith reads the Style file when it opens and creates backups of all databases when it closes. The Style1 backup should be the one you modified. It'll be a significantly smaller file than any of the others.

Delete Style and rename Style1 to Style. When you reopen BeerSmith, your Options will still read "All Style Guides," but your choices should be limited to only the styles you want to see.

I'm not really in favor of this sort of destructive editing, but it's the only real way to accomplish what you're asking. I'd make a backup of the Style database just in case of any future needs. It can easily be inserted.

much appreciated mate. thank you

Another alternative you can consider is to make your own 'style guidelines'. The styles in BeerSmith are editable, so you can take one of the style profiles, copy and rename it, and then alter them to be reflective of both the BJCP and AABC styles. It will save you some effort if later on you decide that you want to copy a style from one of the other available style profiles, but have deleted it...

also under Options you can select ALL Guidelines or only 1. As you change it you only see those parameters from what I can tell.

Correct. But in this case, the OP wanted to see two sets of guidelines at a time. The OP wanted to avoid going to Options each time a change was needed.

that's correct. thanks brewfun - your method worked and i also kept a copy of the original style through style5 files in case i need them again. makes it a lot easier :)

Back