Delayed heat timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertwa

Reaction score
I have been using a single vessel eBIAB system with a pretty typical setup as seen here, Auber PID, 5500W single element etc. I am rewiring everything into a new enclosure and would like to incorporate a timer to provide the ability to set up the previous night and have strike water up to temp by the time I wake up. The Grainfather has this option and it is a great time saver.

What options would you recommend for this? I'm thinking I could wire an outlet inside my box, use a plug in mechanical timer with the outlet wired to pull in my contactor so either the power switch, or timer would activate the system. I'm not sure though if the PID (Auber SYL 2352) would remember the mash temp setpoint from a cold startup - does anyone know?

An alternate could be to wire a small relay in series with the input to the SSR and have that relay controlled by the mechanical timer.

Any other options? Does any other PID such as the eZboil have this functionality built in already?

Yes, starting with the DSPR-3xx series, the programmable time/schedule feature allows for this. Frankly even if you didn't want to time delay, the EZboil is a notably better controller than any of the SYL units.

Latest posts

Back