Delayed fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
My past few batches have had a delayed start to fermentation (36-48hours) and while the beer turned out good I was just trying to figure out why.

At the time of these delays I had started using a very efficient immersion chiller and with our cold well water I am getting my wort temp down in the mid to low 60's pretty quickly. I rehydrate my dry yeast in 90 degree water (previously boiled).

Could the cool wort temps be shocking my 90 slurry of yeast so there is the delay in starting fermentation? Is this important? Should I cool the yeast slurry more?

Thanks

Yes, you should try to get the yeast to about the same temperature as the wort.

My past few batches have had a delayed start to fermentation (36-48hours) and while the beer turned out good I was just trying to figure out why.

At the time of these delays I had started using a very efficient immersion chiller and with our cold well water I am getting my wort temp down in the mid to low 60's pretty quickly. I rehydrate my dry yeast in 90 degree water (previously boiled).

Could the cool wort temps be shocking my 90 slurry of yeast so there is the delay in starting fermentation? Is this important? Should I cool the yeast slurry more?

Thanks

Yes, and yes. You're likely thermal shocking your yeast and killing enough off to delay your fermentation. Do you, by chance, notice any slight savory or meaty flavor in your beer if you age them a couple months?

You always want to try and have your slurry or starter at the same temperature as the wort it's going to go into. You can pitch on the warm or cold ends of optimal temperature for your strain if you want, then adjust from there, but make sure the slurry and wort temperatures match at pitching time.

Yes, and yes. You're likely thermal shocking your yeast and killing enough off to delay your fermentation. Do you, by chance, notice any slight savory or meaty flavor in your beer if you age them a couple months?

You always want to try and have your slurry or starter at the same temperature as the wort it's going to go into. You can pitch on the warm or cold ends of optimal temperature for your strain if you want, then adjust from there, but make sure the slurry and wort temperatures match at pitching time.

Thanks. Good to know.

No off flavors that I've noticed. I've been brewing brown ales (moose drool clone) and smash beers lately and they have been good but I will get that yeast slurry temp down in the future.

Latest posts

Back