Delayed dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to do a 'delayed' dry hop? I brewed up a sessionable citra pale ale that I'm planning to serve at the tailgate party for the USF-FSU football game on September 29th. I jumped the gun on brewing it a little bit. It will be ready to keg this weekend so I'm thinking I might just let this one naturally carbonate and then about a week before the game put some hops in a hop-sack and throw 'em into the keg... I want to make sure the aroma is as fresh as possible. I'm afraid if I dry hop now it might die off some between now and then. Any thoughts?

No problem. You'll lose some of the kettle hop aromas, but the dry hop will be a good boost. It's only 2 months.

Other option is to finish this one normal, taste it, and see if there's anything you'd change...plenty of time to brew a version 2.

No problem. You'll lose some of the kettle hop aromas, but the dry hop will be a good boost. It's only 2 months.

Other option is to finish this one normal, taste it, and see if there's anything you'd change...plenty of time to brew a version 2.

Cool, thanks for the info. I figured it would be fine.

I would definitely love to be able to taste and re-brew if necessary, however the main reason I had to brew this early is because I can only brew on the weekends, and we have something going on pretty much every weekend for the next two months, so no time to re-brew.

I also refresh the dry hopping if a keg of something hoppy has been online for more than a month. One of the pluses of kegging.

One thing to be aware of is that if the keg is already carbed, the hop bag cause a lot of foaming. Be prepared to slap the lid back on quickly!

I made a simple IPA with straight Columbus hops and had it kegged for about 5 weeks. When I kicked the old one, I dropped an ounce each of cascade and simcoe in s sanitized bag and dropped it in. Believe it or not, the next day it was extremely palatable and has been steadily improving. The cascade was whole, the simcoe pellitized. I'm now a believer in late keg hopping, although time will tell for the remainder of the keg. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Pat

One thing to be aware of is that if the keg is already carbed, the hop bag cause a lot of foaming. Be prepared to slap the lid back on quickly!

Ohhh I hadn't thought of that... Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely keep that in mind....

Back