Dehydrated fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLLTIDE

Reaction score
Okay cider gurus, I have a question. I've made a cider apple connection that is 1200 miles away. The problem is that fresh apples weigh a ton, are perishisable and so is just the juice. How about if he dehydrates them, and I use store bought juice and just add the dehydrated cider apples in secondary or even in primary if I rehrydrate first ? I get a feeling i may be the guinea pig on this one.

Okay cider gurus, I have a question. I've made a cider apple connection that is 1200 miles away. The problem is that fresh apples weigh a ton, are perishisable and so is just the juice. How about if he dehydrates them, and I use store bought juice and just add the dehydrated cider apples in secondary or even in primary if I rehrydrate first ? I get a feeling i may be the guinea pig on this one.
How many pounds are you looking at? This might get laughed at, but if your only looking for a couple hundred pounds, he could freeze them, pack in dry ice, and ship Fedex in 70 pound lots. The dry ice should keep them frozen for the first 24 hours, and another 24 they'll be at your door, thawed and ready to press.

Well, here's the thing....i don't have a press yet. And I say yet lightly because I may not get one. I'm actually a beer drinker with the budget right now of an inmate at the state pen. My wife can't drink due to medical reasons and all of the people whom I know like cider, I don't like enough to give to them.

I made a perry with dehydrated pears and some added pear juice. It was a completely experimental 1 gal; and I don't remember the exact recipe. It was a lot of work, but the result was good. If I had more dehydrated pears I would probably do it again.

What varieties of cider apples are you considering buying and what is the price?
I'm asking because I'm somewhat skeptical that anyone who has decent cider apples would be trying to sell them in January.
How much cider are you trying to make?

It's my new brother in law I'm getting into cider making. He lives in Minneapolis and has access to all kinds of apples including crab and one undetermined tree growing in his own yard that he says is cider apples. I'll have to update when I find out exactly what. He's on a flight home as we speak.

From here it doesn't sound like its worth all the time and effort to dehydrate those apples, ship them to you and then trying to make a decent cider out of that.
If you are in an apple-challenged area, try using Simple Apple juice from your local supper market.
It actually makes a decent hard cider.

Well, the Wal-Mart brand came out very bland, I'm adding some tannins, acid blend and some jarred strawberries in syrup (40 additional grams of sugar) in my secondary to try to get something palatable out of it . We shall see.

Well, the Wal-Mart brand came out very bland, I'm adding some tannins, acid blend and some jarred strawberries in syrup (40 additional grams of sugar) in my secondary to try to get something palatable out of it . We shall see.
I'm not a cider expert, but adding tannins and acid blend is going to probably give you more of a wine than a cider. Frozen apple juice concentrate and half the strawberry stuff might have been enough to brighten it up?

Hmmmm, it may have been enough. But the strawberries is what i had on hand and had been thinking of trying them for awhile. As far as the tannins and acid blend, it seems to me that these are for flavor and mouthfeel. It is my understanding ( i may very well be wrong), is the difference between cider and apfelwein is the ABV .....although I'm not sure where the line is drawn.

I'm not a cider expert, but adding tannins and acid blend is going to probably give you more of a wine than a cider.

Why? If boring store juice lacks the acid & tannin in heirloom apples wouldn’t adding some make it more cider-like? Adding a lot of sugar will make it more wine-like.

Back