Deformed corks...anyone else???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgabbard

Reaction score
I'm an occasional wine maker. Nothing high end, and it gets consumed almost as fast as I make it. Generally speaking, I typically make 1-3 gallons at a time. I buy corks by the 100pc, and don't go through them very fast.

Now having said that, I have always bought synthetic corks, these to be precise.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/Corks-Nomacorc-222p3776.htm

Now I have bought synthetic because quite frankly I'm scare of cork taint. I know, some say it's not that big of a deal. Others say why bother, this isn't to rehash on that topic. But there is a problem. When I use these corks I seem to always have a problem with deformation of the cork. I'm not sure it affects anything. But it is not very pleasing to the eyes, see pic below.

I use a hand corner, the red one with two levers. So maybe this is just a characteristic of that corker? Or maybe this is a characteristic of those corks? Or maybe I should just switch to #8 corks...

What do you guys think??? Is this normal?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421119204.847085.jpg

Great idea. However, I just tried it. The dime is much to large to fit through the opening....

Works great on our corker, something small, round, and metal should work just as good. You could also try some sort of agglomerate cork without the fear of taint.

"The cork is inserted into the slot and is compressed as it is being pushed into the wine bottle. Because it is compressed as it is inserted into the bottle, it leaves a dimple in the cork. This doesn't affect the aging but isn't as attractive as other corkers that leave a smooth "polished" look to the cork." - from the link you posted. At least you've got an inny, my corker leaves an outtie, but I make wine infrequently as well, only 18 gallons once a year (12 red, 6 white). RDWHAHB

Yeah, well I went and ordered #9 1-1/2" corks from High Gravity today. I wish I would have thought about this the other day, I was in Tulsa and stopped by the store to grab a few things and shoot the breeze with Dave for a few minutes. I miss living a mile away and not having to order things online. But I needed some caps and whatnot anyways... We'll see how the #9s do with the hand corker. Most of these will be drank fast, as I only have two gallons fermenting at the moment. A welch's wine, and a Apfelwein.

I just hate to buy a floor corker when I only make a handful of bottles a year. Most of my fermenters are occupied making beer and cider...

I have the same corker but it has a nut on the ram to adjust the stroke length. Must have been a cost-out opportunity for the manufacturer.

You may be filling the bottles too full also. I had the exact same issue and was told to quit over filling and set my depth a little deeper. The hand corker is adjustable if there is a nut on the top of it. I did buy a floor corker since I have 42 gallons to bottle this year so I plan on retiring that hand corker!

The dimple will not harm the wine:). If it bothers you, dress it up with wax or foil covers.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

This isn't from overfilling. The picture above was with an empty bottle.

I know it won't hurt anything. It just isn't pleasing to my eyes.

I'm thinking I may one day upgrade. But can't justify it now. Wine only makes up about 5% of my stock. Beer and Cider make up the rest. Although that may change, as I just started building a press. Will likely get used with apples more than anything, but would be nice being able to crush my own grapes.

I have the same non-adjustable double lever hand corker and it too makes the dimple. The dimple goes away after about a week.

i have the same corker, and it produces the same divot. i have since bought a floor corker and get perfect corks. its well worth whatever the price even if your doing a few bottles a year. its much easier to use and doesnt damage the corks like the hand corker.

I corked 112 bottles on Sunday and the floor corker seated them all perfectly, not one ugly dimple-cork. Totally worth the money, maybe you'll want to make more wine once you get one of these!

Yeah, I might. But I just hate spending $70-100 one a corker that I'll only use once or twice a year. Versus a capper that I use every couple of weeks...

Latest posts

Back