Defects in bottles? (pictures)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jebu1788

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently ordered a few cases of these 500ml bottles: https://www.morebeer.com/products/bottles-500ml-amber-champagnebelgian-style-case-12.html

However, I noticed almost all of them have cracks in the neck. They don't go all the way through, and may just be defects in casting the glass, but it makes me concerned they could be defective. No other commercial bottles I own have the same nicks, etc. A closer look here:

I was planning on bottling highly carbonated Belgian brett beer in these, but I'm worried now. Especially since I wrote to MoreBeer about carbonation levels and here is their reply and part of the subsequent exchange:
MB: "These have a MAX pressure of 3 bar (43.5 psi)."
Me: "Given that they are called champagne bottles, which have 6+ volumes of CO2 (which at room temperature is approximately 80psi), isn't that a bit misleading?"
MB: "Yes, in this case the Champagne is referring to the style of the bottle."

Anyway, any thoughts on if these are defective?

Attachments

• IMG_7057[1].JPG
    IMG_7057[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 69
I can't image that is normal. Tell MB about the defects and ask for replacements and a shipping label to return the defective ones.

MB: "These have a MAX pressure of 3 bar (43.5 psi)."
Is that even legal? You can exceed that with just 3 vols if it gets warmer than 28°C (which has been happening way too often lately where I live). Basically they're selling bottle bombs...

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll be contacting MB and requesting a return. May be just a bad batch I got, but the not so great PSI rating combined with the cracks and nicks in the crowns of the bottles, I wouldn't be suggesting this product.

Update: After contacting customer support about the defects, MoreBeer did refund the entire amount for these bottles. I won't be using (already taken to the recycling) or buying these bottles again, but kudos to MoreBeer for being straightforward and reasonable with the refund.

I've found MoreBeer to have great customer service. Especially involvng warranty claims. I'm glad you found that to be the case as well.

Latest posts

Back