Deep Six Brewery - back in action!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats. This is awesome news. I remember reading the flood thread as it was going down and it was tough to see what a nightmare you were going through. It looks like things have gotten a lot better though and I'm sure the new brewery is going to be nuts. Congrats again and I can't wait to see the build.

I'll continue with my broken-record impression when it comes to "what should I put in my brewery" question...

cold room
<skip>
cold room
<skip>
cold room

No footings or foundation? You southerners are weird.... That thing would be heaved in half in a year in Wisconsin.

Not if you set your post's below the frostline. I built column frame buildings for 7 years when I lived in Michigan. We had to drill our holes 36" to 48" deep!

My question is why not post frame it all the way? It wouldn't cost a whole lot more for longer post's.

Not if you set your post's below the frostline. I built column frame buildings for 7 years when I lived in Michigan. We had to drill our holes 36" to 48" deep!

My question is why not post frame it all the way? It wouldn't cost a whole lot more for longer post's.

Interesting, I suppose why not. I have always filled my holes with concrete then fixed the structure to those piers. 48" is what we try for too...

Sorry for the off topic, just like to understand building stuff :)

Interesting, I suppose why not. I have always filled my holes with concrete then fixed the structure to those piers. 48" is what we try for too...

Sorry for the off topic, just like to understand building stuff :)

All our building packages came from Allenton Wi., from Walters buildings. It looks fairly close to you on the map.

:off:

Sorry John.

No footings or foundation? You southerners are weird.... That thing would be heaved in half in a year in Wisconsin.

The frost line in Valdosta is at grade level. I live in North Carolina and we do not have to use footings for smaller buildings either. Footings for our houses are only 6- 10" below grade.

Duuuude... don't let your builder push you around. It's your money make him do it how you want it done. To me a builder telling a customer they think they're being too "anal" is a sign of a builder who isn't anal enough. Just my .02 .

Duuuude... don't let your builder push you around. It's your money make him do it how you want it done. To me a builder telling a customer they think they're being too "anal" is a sign of a builder who isn't anal enough. Just my .02 .

Nah.. he is a good friend and is really just about as anal as I am.. was just a funny thought to think about making it. 1' 10 5/8" exactly longer to match the golden mean.. heh

I'm in ATL for the weekend (motocross baby!).. will post pictures of the progress when I return on Sunday.. can't wait to see it!

I'm in ATL for the weekend (motocross baby!).. will post pictures of the progress when I return on Sunday.. can't wait to see it!

you get to go to motocross while someone else builds your brew house. you are truly living the good life now, my friend :mug:

Yeah.. I suck. Heh. I guess I shouldn't tell you that we are drinkin at taco mac. For those that don't know, they have 100 taps and another 365 in bottles.. ;-)

Yeah.. I suck. Heh. I guess I shouldn't tell you that we are drinkin at taco mac. For those that don't know, they have 100 taps and another 365 in bottles.. ;-)

Love the taco mac..........:mug::rockin: Brewniversity card caring member although I had my card before when it had different name but concept still the same you get stuff for trying beers.

Not to mention they have a monthly newsletter which serves as beer menu and they bring new stuff in every month....

man I'm going to have to drive over a couple hours to get to a taco mac...

Here are a couple of progress photos of what they accomplished while I was in ATL..

2-28-10A.jpg

2-28-10B.jpg

Cheers to John Beere!
Nothing like watching (or helping) bring a structure together. That reminds me of my workshop being built. I need to build another just for beer. If I only had the space on my lot for one more....

Looking good! There definately appears to be more than enough outlets, that's for certain.

Glad to see that things are getting back to normal for ya!

One can never have enough electrical circuits and wall outlets. Are you going gas or electric on the tuns and boiler?

Those two photos are of bendavanza's workshop- not mine.. although it will have plenty of power with its own 200-AMP breaker.

I guess I haven't said it, but I will have two rigs- my 2.0 rig (in my sig) and the new 3.0 rig, which is larger. At this point, I plan on having the HLT remain electric but the boil kettles will definitely natural gas- as well as the hot water heater (if I can afford to go ahead and get one installed).

Ah-ha! That would explain why the floor looked so very different...from plywood underlayment in one to concrete in the other!

glenn514:mug:

Here is today's progress. I ended up deciding to do a 1' knee wall coupled with a 6/12 pitched roof. It will have a 24" overhang. This is the best compromise I could come up with to maximize space in the loft and make it not look overtly tall.

3-01-10A.jpg

3-01-10B.jpg

We are moving soon and I was hoping to get a corner of the basement. Maybe someday I can build an entire brew house. Very nice.

A farmer's porch on that would be SWEET!! Basking in the sun in between tending to a brew session...staying out of the rain. Sittin around like the Bartyl's & James dudes...priceless!

Looks great!! But what about that river back there? Was the flood that wiped you out one of those every 100 year kind of things?

Looks great!! But what about that river back there? Was the flood that wiped you out one of those every 100 year kind of things?

It is about a foot above the 100 year flood plain.. the 500 year flood plain is only like 14"~16" above the 100 year flood plain. There are not even statistics for flood that wiped me out..

Back