Deep dark wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrthoBrewer

Reaction score
Hey everyone, been reading Homebrew forums for quite a while now. This is the first time I have posted, so I thought I would post a picture of the brew I am doing today. It is the deep dark wheat extract kit from Midwest supplies. I am using a hop spider I built for the first time. It is a gorgeous day in Columbia, Missouri, and I thought I would share my joy at brewing with all of you.

John

image-2507525740.jpg

That sounds delish! Welcome to the world of brewing! I'm quite new myself. Brew on my friend. :)

Thank you for the comment. This is actually my eighth brew, all extract kits. I love brewing, but for right now don't have the time to get more involved with the all grain brewing.

John

Rad! You're ahead of me then! I've only done extract batches too. I need to do more research on brewing all-grain. After reading (on here) about it, I'm quite sure I need more supplies. I'll be sticking to extract for a while I think. 😁 You wanting to start all-grain brewing?

Nice.... I brewed the all grain kit from midwest a couple of months ago, my wife LOVED it! Hence, I brewed another deep dark wheat but used a different yeast this time. It's still in the primary after about 10 days.

Found out when we brew dark wheats, we're brewing dunkelweizens... I know you've heard that term before?

Here's a pint of dark wheat I drank while brewing a chocolate oatmeal stout from midwest.. all grain. Cheers!

IMG_1712.jpg

I discovered that having a hop spider is useless if you have a giant hole in your hop bag. I am using the 1 gallon paint strainer bags that you can get from Lowe's. They worked well but having a hole definitely introduced some hops into my brew. I am fairly certain that the pore size would have prevented any hops (from pellet) from getting into my wort. As it was with that hole, only about 5% of the hops got into my wort. I would say the hop spider was a success, and the best part is that the paint strainer bags cost 0.50$ apiece.

FG =1.063
6 lb wheat LME, 3.3 lb dark LME
One pound specialty grains, half carapils, half caramel 40L steeped at 155-165 F for 30 min
2 oz Tettnang hops, one at begin boil, other at 55 min into boil, 60 min boil total
1/4 tsp super Irish moss and 1 tsp yeast energizer at 15 min left in boil
Wort chiller from boil to 75 F in 10 min
4 gal boil volume, added just over a gallon to make it to 5 in primary
Pitched from yeast starter with wyeast Bavarian wheat #3056, two days of growth at 72 F
Trying blow off tube for first time from the get go

John

image-1696319762.jpg

Man, that sounds like a good brew, except for the hole in the bag. I used the #3638 Wyeast w/ starter and got a phenomenal tasting beer.

How in the hell did you get your wort down to that temp so quickly with a chiller? Water temps down here in the Houston area are still in the mid-80's* temps! Hard to get it to 90* in 20 minutes, much less another 15*lower in half the time!

Not sure if Lowe's paint bags are sourced from the same supplier, but I use Home Depot bags and seriously have used the same 3-4 bags for the last 15 brews. If I recall, they're packaged 2 in a pack, for maybe $1.50? I just turn em' inside out at the end of each boil, wash with hot water, hang em' up to dry. Some of my boils call for 4 or more hop additions, so sometimes all 4 get used. Point is, mine are still intact after so many boil events.

Also, I use a piece of thin wire to close em up and hang the bag a few inches off the bottom of the kettle. Don't have a hop spider, but the tie-off to the side of the pot works just fine for me.

I just love midwest supplies for hardware AND their recipes posted online. I frequently browse their all grain kits, make notes of the ingredients/grain bill, and jot down the hop addition schedule. I'm trying like h*ll to support my 6-month-old local homebrew supply store by buying all the kit ingredients found at midwest locally.

good luck on that dark wheat!

A dark black wheat beer, why didn't I think of that! Sound great! Need to add that to my never ending list!

jestmaty said:
How in the hell did you get your wort down to that temp so quickly with a chiller? Water temps down here in the Houston area are still in the mid-80's* temps! Hard to get it to 90* in 20 minutes, much less another 15*lower in half the time!

Not sure if Lowe's paint bags are sourced from the same supplier, but I use Home Depot bags and seriously have used the same 3-4 bags for the last 15 brews. If I recall, they're packaged 2 in a pack, for maybe $1.50? I just turn em' inside out at the end of each boil, wash with hot water, hang em' up to dry. Some of my boils call for 4 or more hop additions, so sometimes all 4 get used. Point is, mine are still intact after so many boil events.!

Hey jestmaty, I used to get like 17-22 min chill times with my wort chiller (stainless steel, Midwest supplies), which I was kind of disappointed with. Two brews ago, I started stirring the wort continuously while running the wort chiller and have gotten ten min chill times both times. I get a pretty good swirl going so that there is a much faster conductive heat transfer rate. I will measure my water temp too, and get back to you on that. Live in mid-Missouri so I expect my water temp is significantly lower than Houston.

The lowes paint strainer bags I use come two to a pack, and cost $1. I normally treat bags gently, but I think I stabbed the bag with my thermometer. It is one of those meat thermometers with the sharp end to penetrate the meat. I don't think I'll have problems with them again. The 5 gallon bag I used for grain steeping worked perfectly.

John

I measured my water temp and it is currently 63-64 deg F. I'm looking to get a digital thermometer, can anyone recommend one?

The Deep Dark Wheat kit is sitting on my counter waiting for the start of brew day tomorrow. Someone gave me a growler of it a couple months ago and it disappeared in a day! Can't wait to get this beer bottled. Any reason why you chose to secondary? Did you need your primary back, or is that just how you roll? Looks like I'm just a week behind you on the brew schedule!

Back