Decoction - Probably not needed but would like to

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pjj2ba said:
If your water is like mine, I find it to be very good for Oktoberfests. Of the major brewing cities, my water (so I suspect yours too) is most similar to that of Munich. For Oktoberfests I don't make any pH adjustment to the mash, but I do buffer my sparge water if for nothing else, peace of mind. I brewed two 7.5 gal. batches yesterday and while I didn't do a decoction, I did do a step mash, starting at 132F and Saccharification at 152 F (1 hr). I didn't do an iodine test but based on my OG's I got great conversion (3:1 Vienna:Munich). I might suggest double checking your thermometer accuracy. Also, Kai's comment about a thick decoction sounds like a possible cause. One of these days I have to try a decoction.

It's weird, our water out here is so different than in town. High in Iron and not really much Calcium I think. I should get a water analysis, but I never really had trouble and the water tastes good. I did think about the thermometer, but I have two and they matched.

I am really thinking my error was in not pulling off a thick decoction, mostly because I was nervous about scorching. But in retrospect it really makes sense. Well live and learn :D.

Back