Decision Time: Fermentation Chamber VS Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
Hello Hello. So I have a budget of about $500 to upgrade my brewery. Space is limited, so anything I add will be in the basement. The question is: Do I spend the $$$ on a fermentation chamber (Chest freezer/Mini Fridge & Temp controller)? Or chest freezer + keg system.

Option #1:

My basement in the Spring/Fall/winter range from high 50's-mid 60s. It's useless during the summer, so I don't brew. Not having to worry about fermentation temps would be very nice, and would most likely improve my beers. Being able to brew in the summer is a major plus as well. So:

-Johnson Digital Temp Controller ($79.99)
-5 Cubic Ft Chest freezer (is this big enough?) or mini fridge (don't think I can find one that will hold 6.5 gallon carboy) ($200)

Option #2

-Same chest freezer ($200)
-5 gallon keg system ($250)

The fermentation chamber probably makes the most sense right now, as the keezer seems like a luxury for me right now, given space issues. Not having to bottle is MIGHTY attractive however.

Any thoughts/advice are appreciated.

I would get the keezer if it were me but I'm kind of fond of using a swamp cooler for fermentation. Could probably still cut your freezer cost a bit by buying used on craigslist. I see the all the time there for like $50.

I would go with the fermentation freezer, but I would try to find something around 8.2 cu. ft. I have a 5 cu. ft. Freezer and it's a little too small.

I was considering pretty much the same thing a while back. I thought about it and to sum it up; I could control my ferm temps well enough to still get good beer, and I really hated cleaning and sanitizing bottles for 10g batches. So I got my kegging up and running first. The good thing is that either decision you make will produce beer. :)

Jmarsh544 said:
I would go with the fermentation freezer, but I would try to find something around 8.2 cu. ft. I have a 5 cu. ft. Freezer and it's a little too small.

I second this. It's an easy upgrade to add the kegging/draft equipment if you choose to do later.

There's a thread in the Bottling/Kegging forum that has inside dimensions and CAD drawings of what will fit in specific models of freezers. You need to look at that. It may help you decide what direction you want to go. It will definitely show you that a 5.2 freezer is probably too small IMO. Buy as big as you can afford and have the space for.

I went with a 5.0 cubic FT GE chest freezer....That's the biggest I can fit in my basement. It will hold one 6.5 gallon carboy.

The Johnson temp controller is on the way as well. I could still grab a kep setup and use the freezer....WIN WIN.

Back