Deciding between 5g and 10g mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pplejay

Reaction score
I'm looking at going into all grain brewing for my next batch. I've been researching quite a bit on how to make my own, and I feel confident that making one isn't the problem.

From your guys' experience, what's the difference with brewing between a 5 gal and 10 gal? From what I understand, it's really about the amount of weight you can put in correct? I understand that higher gravity beers will probably require a 10 unless you go with a smaller batch size.

I do plan on brewing some higher gravity beers i.e. belgians but would love to hear what other people think. For people with 5 gal, have you ever wanted to move up to something bigger? Should I just go all in and go with a 10?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I started with a 5 gallon round cooler and ended up retiring it after making my first 5 gallon DIPA. It wasn't too expensive to upgrade; I just reused the bazooka screen and bulkhead from the first but I did feel like I was throwing away 50$ from the cooler purchase (or whatever it was)

it's only a few extra bucks to get the 10, I'd say go for it.

I'd go for 10 gallon. I got mine from home depot for $40 and it was worth it. If you do go 5 and then 10 later (keep in mind the difference in price is normally less than $20 for the cooler) then at least you can use the 5 for holding sparge water.

Erroneous said:
I'd go for 10 gallon. I got mine from home depot for $40 and it was worth it. If you do go 5 and then 10 later (keep in mind the difference in price is normally less than $20 for the cooler) then at least you can use the 5 for holding sparge water.

So it wouldn't be a bad to have a 10 g mash tun and a 5 g to hold the spare water? I was under the impression that they needed to be he same size. If I can do one of each that'd help with cost and space.

So it wouldn't be a bad to have a 10 g mash tun and a 5 g to hold the spare water? I was under the impression that they needed to be he same size. If I can do one of each that'd help with cost and space.

They don't really need to be depending on how big of a batch you want to make. The volume of your hot liquor tank (sparge water holding cooler) is more dependent on size of the batch than the amount of grain.

Get a 10 gallon. I discovered after making my 5 that it simply wasn't enough for a decently high gravity 5 gallon batch.

Plus with a 10 gallon if you end up with a bigger brewing kettle it would avail you the possibility of brewing some lower gravity 10 gallon batches as well as super high gravity 5 gallon batches.

52 quart here (13Gallong). I can do most 10G batches (average ABV) and it holds temps for smaller 5G batches also. I also have a 5G that I'll be using for my 3.5G setup. But if you're only going for one system, go over 10. No need for the 72Qts, but also no harm. You can always brew smaller in a bigger vessel, not the other way around.

you can do a 10 gallon 1.06 grav beer in a 10 gallon cooler. Im going to be using 2 10 gallon round water coolers for my mlt and hlt. Gravity fed system for now into my keggle.

I too say 10 gallon or larger. You can always make smaller batches in a bigger tun, but not the other way around like IrregularPulse said.

Thanks for all the tips guys. It helps out a lot. I'll be scouring around for some 10 gal coolers.

The beverage coolers are nice, but a rectangular one works just as well IMO. They tend to be cheaper to buy and sometimes even free off Craigslist. I had one laying around unused and built it super cheap following these directions: http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm. It worked incredibly well and I couldn't be happier with the switch to all grain.

OClairBrew said:
The beverage coolers are nice, but a rectangular one works just as well IMO. They tend to be cheaper to buy and sometimes even free off Craigslist. I had one laying around unused and built it super cheap following these directions: http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm. It worked incredibly well and I couldn't be happier with the switch to all grain.

Thanks a lot! It just hit me that I have a rectangular one sitting around. I might just use it!

I had some temp loss the beverage coolers may not experience, but having a little boiling water ready to toss in the mash brought it right up. Next time I will pre-heat with 165F water and then cover with a blanket to help insulate. The stainless braid filters the mash incredibly well and it took me a total of 15 minutes to piece the whole thing together.

Thanks a lot! It just hit me that I have a rectangular one sitting around. I might just use it!

If you do decide to buy a round one, Home Depot seemed to have the best prices on Rubbermaid ones the last time I checked (about $43). I personally prefer the round ones with a stainless steel false bottom, but I've seen some of the rectangular coolers that look like they have thicker sidewalls, which should mean better insulation.

We use a 10 Gallon Rubbermaid cooler and now that I know more I would have gotten a 12-13 gallon rectangular cooler. First off, they are a bit cheaper. Secondly, they are bigger so you won't run into problems mashing 20# of grain or more. I know people saw you can mash up to 25# in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid but I like a bit of a thinner mash.

Definitely go with the 10 gallon MLT. I just did a 5 gallon batch with about 11lbs of grain. I preheated my tun by heating my strike water to about 10 degrees above my strike temp and letting it cool in the MLT. With a sleeping bag wrapped around the cooler, I only lost about half a degree over the hour long mash.

If you get a square tun do you need to do anything special to sparge? I feel like the grain near the valve would get a much better rinse than the grain in the back.

cmybeer said:
We use a 10 Gallon Rubbermaid cooler and now that I know more I would have gotten a 12-13 gallon rectangular cooler. First off, they are a bit cheaper. Secondly, they are bigger so you won't run into problems mashing 20# of grain or more. I know people saw you can mash up to 25# in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid but I like a bit of a thinner mash.

Are there any rectangular ones that people would recommend? Most of what I'm seeing as far as reviews go is for the round ones. Would I need to drill a hole in it? Or would do they come with spigots attached?

We started with a 5 gallon cooler, used for one batch then bought a 10 gallon one. We soon bought another as we started doing 15 gal batches (3 of us), We have moved to a 45 Gallon Stout MLT and use a counterflow chiller as a HERMS. We have a 30 Gallon HLT with HERMS from Stout coming. Bigger is better. BTW, the coolers can be a PIA becuase of leaks around the valve after a lot of use. You do need to take the thing apart and clean. We boiled the bazooka screen for a while. We were surprised by the crud the first time we did it so after that, we cleaned it after every use. The Stout MLT is much easier to clean and has a welded outlet so it never leaks.

The one I used had a 3/8" drain so I just used 3/8" tubing through the drain with a braided stainless line clamped to it. Then I peiced a longer peice of tubing for draining with a plastic push together valve. I got all the parts at Lowe's and spent less than $15. It's not fancy, but it works great and doesn't leak a drop. I'm all about econo brewing.

The super huge Coleman Extreme is only $40 at Walmart. I use 1/2 in. fittings and a compression fitting so I didn't have to hunt for a full stainless hose clamp. If you can't find a rubber or neoprene washer for the inside, I recommend cutting up a nipple from a baby bottle. Zero leakage.

I went to all-grain this year, and like you wasn't sure what size to build my mash tun out of. After lots of research and thinking I decided on the 5 gallon round cooler set up. I'm two batches into all-grain and gearing up for a third, and have been more than pleased with the set-up. I like to brew standard everyday drinking beers so the grains fit easily into the 5 gallon cooler. Once I get comfortable, I'd like to do some 2-3 gallon batches of higher gravity beers. And when the time comes to upgrade, all I got to do is buy a 10 gallon beverage cooler and use the fittings and parts I already have. Just another perspective I guess.

CKing said:
I went to all-grain this year, and like you wasn't sure what size to build my mash tun out of. After lots of research and thinking I decided on the 5 gallon round cooler set up. I'm two batches into all-grain and gearing up for a third, and have been more than pleased with the set-up. I like to brew standard everyday drinking beers so the grains fit easily into the 5 gallon cooler. Once I get comfortable, I'd like to do some 2-3 gallon batches of higher gravity beers. And when the time comes to upgrade, all I got to do is buy a 10 gallon beverage cooler and use the fittings and parts I already have. Just another perspective I guess.

I was thinking along those lines. I like to brew small enough that I can finish a batch before I am craving something else. If I can still do 5 gallon batches of session beers and the occasional high gravity Trappist type I think I'd be set. Thanks for the perspective.

Back