Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed last night. All grain. Sample tasted good. Ended up with little too much wort. Wrong calculation on my part. Live and learn. Fermentation started in about 2 hours. Had to hook up blow off tube. Looking good.

Thanks for the recipe.

IMAG0101.jpg

Brewed this for the first time tonight! I followed the recipe almost exactly, but I added more dark grains and cold steeped them, instead of mashing them...as my water is no good for mashing dark grains.

I also boosted the OG by adding some light DME, which got me to 1.063. Also used 2 vanilla beans in the boil for 20 mins, and will add 2 more vanilla beans in the secondary. Also I used SF 04 - it's the only english ale yeast I could find that won't be too dry.

Cannot WAIT to try this sucker! I'll post my results. Thanks for posting.

As I type this, my second batch of this delicious brew is boiling merrily on the stove in the kitchen. It is currently just about noon...I started heating the mash water around 930am this morning, and I should have the beer in the 6 gallon Better Bottle and everything cleaned up and put away by 115pm. And then the wait begins! It should be ready right around Easter. Oh, yum!!!

glenn514:mug:

Brewed a modified 1.084 OG All Grain version of this yesterday. Can't wait to taste it! I have a 1.070 version on tap now and I really like it. Thanks OP!

Just tried my first bottle of this over the weekend. It's only been carbing for 2 weeks, but damn is it tasty already. Thanks for the receipe!

Going on about 5 weeks in the bottle after a 1 month primary, and this stuff is great. I've had people tell me that this is a beer they would buy. Mine turned out a bit thin, but I'll try mashing a bit higher next time, but as is, it looks like a beer that will be a staple around my house. :)

I just drank my last bottle from when I was brewing one gallon batches at the beginning of last year. It was amazing! That was also when I was learning about flaked barley. A pound goes into any brew now and DCS is a regular.

-The glass after a 30 minute conversation.
Body, body, body.

glass.jpg

I just drank my last bottle from when I was brewing one gallon batches at the beginning of last year. It was amazing! That was also when I was learning about flaked barley. A pound goes into any brew now and DCS is a regular.

-The glass after a 30 minute conversation.
Body, body, body.

Flaked Barley would be a very welcome addition. I never thought about using it, but with the lactose, it would really make a nice full-bodied stout.

I'm relatively new to brewing (4 brews so far: 2 extract and 2 AG). This will be the first recipe that calls for yeast nutrient. I've used nutrient when making fruit wines, but never with beer.

Why does this recipe need the nutrient when other beer recipes do not? Aren't there enough "goodies" in the wort for the yeast? Just trying to learn.

Its more of a brewing practice to use yeast nutrient, so many brewers who actually use nutrient don't list it in their recipe. Actually, the word recipe is often misused in the brewing world - many people list ingredients and call it a recipe while leaving out details like mash temps, nutrient, etc. Some just don't use nutrient because they just don't know better or just for some reason decide not to. It will definitely make for a more healthy fermentation environment for your yeast, especially in situations where you are working your yeast pretty hard - if you are repitching or making a big beer, for example. I use it in 100% of my beers.

As far as nutrient goes, there are many different brands. Wyeast is popular but relatively pricey. I use a blend that my homebrew store sells, which is a mixture of carbamide and ammonium phosphate. If you want to make go extra big like a RIS/Quad/Barleywine, I would maybe consider something more complete like the Wyeast brand. Just add the manufacturer-recommended amount with 5-10 min left in the boil.

That is a tasty beer. I've gotten a ton of compliments now that it is starting to come into it's prime. Thanks again for the recipe NCBeernut!

Having a party this weekend and have a keg of this that's been sitting for a few weeks ready to go, along with an American wheat and an Amarillo IPA

It's been hard not to drink it and save it for the guests! I'll need to get another in the fermenter soon because I don't think there'll be much left.

Planning on brewing this again this weekend. LOVED it the first go around.

This was my second brew. Tasted today after 4 weeks in the bottle. FANTASTIC!!!!! I was hopeing to be able to brew something drinkable but never dreamed I'd be brewing something that tasted BETTER than many commercial stouts. Thanks a million NCBeerNut!

@ HopHeadHarry...

Soon, even those brews that aren't quite up to the level you want them to be will STILL taste better than the BMC stuff that's out there...most definitely better than Bud Light, not that Bud Light is bad, I'm just sayin'...

glenn514:mug:

This was a huge hit with my friends and will be my first recipe I've brewed twice. One thing I've been surprised by is how the coffee flavor has really come out as it's aged. Delicious!

I bottled mine after 20 days in primary. FG was 1.017 after an OG of 1.063

I bottled with 2 cups of cold steeped coffee and half cup of home made vanilla extract. The sample from the bottling bucket was insanely good but needs to mellow out for a month in the bottles to become amazing. Thx for the recipe

Was going to bottle yesterday. When taking SG reading and sampling, it smelled and tasted a little muddy/dirty. First time brewing it and first time using Denny's Fav 50 and was not sure if that was expected. Is that normal? I decided to put it in secondary for a few weeks and see if it gets better. It was the AG version BTW.

That sounds more or less normal to me. After a few more weeks, and conditioning time, it will taste less green, and the roasty/malty character will shine.

Just brewed this version as BIAB and OG was 1.062.

Ingredients
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 60.6 %
1 lbs 5.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 11.3 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.5 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.5 %
12.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.5 %
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 8.7 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 25.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg London Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1028) [124.21 ml] Yeast 8

Brewed this for the first time yesterday and so far all good. If it ends up being as good as the OG sample taste suggests it will be perfect as winter kicks in.

Cheers for the recipe and everyone's tips throughout the thread.

Delicious! Thanks for the recipe. Will do this again. Only complaint is the head disappears quickly.

Anyone try an Imperial Stout version of this?

I have this recipe in my beersmith and I just adjusted the IBUs to 77 and the OG to 1.100 and I am thinking of brewing this in time for winter....

I've brewed the original twice now....next I am going to brew a version with peanut butter and use Belgian yeast to get a banana flavor...

I read a few posts on people only having this in primary for 3-4 weeks, then bottling. I want to keg this but it will only have 14 days in primary as it needs to be ready for an event.

Any chance it will taste good? Should I take the OG down a few points and hope for the best?

It seems like a basic enough recipe and low enough OG to taste "good" in two weeks but not "amazing" like people are reporting. Either way, I'm going to brew this at least a few times to see how I like it.

This is the second batch of beer I have brewed and I think I really screwed it up. After 2 weeks in the primary fermenter I had something that tasted a bit off. After a lively initial fermentation I noticed a thick sludge residue had been left on the upper walls of the primary fermenter.
I was nervous that this beer was on the verge of going bad. It had an odd flavour, partly citric, but with a yeasty after taste. There was no mold or spider web growth, so I bottled it. Maybe I should have just moved it to a secondary fermenter. Maybe it didn't have enough time to complete fermentation. My first stout was fine after 2 weeks though, I need to start using the hydrometer.

I am hoping that whatever hadn't finished up in the primary fermenter could now complete in the bottles. Once I bottle it is that pretty much the end of the story or is there still a chance for it to change.

I am going to try a bottle this weekend then another next week ... and see what happens. No high hopes for this one.

I bought the ingredients today! Subbed the 2 row with marris otter for a little extra depth.

Alright, brewed this up 12 days ago and kegged it yesterday (I know it needs longer but there is an event Wednesday). It isn't fully carbed but from samples yesterday and today along with my fg of 1.012, I can say that it is feeling thin. I know it may fill out with time but how does everyone feel about adding the other 1/2 pound of lactose to the keg? Was going to boil a cup of water, dissolve the sugar, cool and dump it in... Thoughts?

Kegged mine last night after a month in primary and a month in secondary. The "dirty" flavor noted during transfer to secondary almost disappeared. Few more weeks in keg will do it a lot of good. It was really good - will be very difficult not to steal some every now and then. Next brew is gonna be another batch of DCS.

I've made a couple previous batches with a pound of flaked oats in there. This last time, I went back to the original recipe.

I prefer the original. This is a great recipe!

Yup, it'll be thin and dirty tasting at first, but that'll clean up with time. The best bottle is usually the last one with this great recipe.

So the LHBS has all the ingredients I need except for the yeast. Are there any substitutions I can consider? Like a general type of yeast to go with? I was assuming any type of irish ale yeast but wasn't sure.

This being only my second brew, any help would be appreciated. :)

SkyZero said:
So the LHBS has all the ingredients I need except for the yeast. Are there any substitutions I can consider? Like a general type of yeast to go with? I was assuming any type of irish ale yeast but wasn't sure.

I've used s 05 and it came out great...

Was looking for a good stout recipe to brew up next and I think this one is it. I may make a few substitutions and maybe even cold brew some coffee to put into this one. Thanks for the recipe, I'll let you know how it comes out.:rockin:

I think that pretty much any ale yeast will work for this recipe. I've use Windsor ale yeast and US-05 for the two batches that I've done. I think that the US-05 turned out too crisp/dry for my liking. I'm thinking that S-04 or Danstar Windsor might be a good choice or any other English ale yeast.

Back