Decanting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sremed60

Reaction score
Every youtube video I've watched about decanting, either a starter or washing yeast, they pour the beer or wort into a glass vessel and wait for it to settle into layers. Once it has settled they try to carefully pour off one layer at a time by tipping the vessel sideways. As careful as they are not to disturb the layers TOO much, it's almost impossible to tip a container over far enough to pour liquid out without disturbing the layers.

My question... Why doesn't anyone siphon the layers... without tipping the container? Or maybe everyone does siphon the layers off except for the guys who post youtube videos - I don't know.

Just curious.

I've never done a yeast wash but on my starter I put it into the fridge for a few hours to let the yeast settle to the bottom. When I took it out to decant (carefully) it stayed on the bottom pretty well when I poured off the liquid. I only poured off about 80% though. I suppose you could siphon if you had a small one, but I would think with a big autosiphon it would be tough to manage. Or maybe you could use a turkey baster?

...Or maybe you could use a turkey baster?

That's kind of what I was thinking. I just did the pour thing like all the videos showed. After all - it's not rocket surgery. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist sometimes.

:mug:

I do 2.5 liter starters and usually let the flask sit in the fridge for 24 or more hours. The yeast stuff at the bottom is usually packed down very nicely. It takes a lot of shaking after the top part is poured off to get where I can use the stir bar again. I am sure there is probably some little yeasties still floating around but the majority fall out and down.

You're over thinking it. Even when you tilt to pour, the more dense layers stay below the layers above, it doesn't need to stay on the "bottom" of the container to work. You just pour until you are at the next layer. They don't magically mix while you decant. It takes 10 seconds compared to sanitizing something to siphon and siphoning which isn't necessary.

I just pitch anything under 1.5l at full krausen into 5g without decanting at all. For a lager or something requiring a bigger pitch, I'll let it run its course, pour off the liquid, and pitch whatever is left. Probably not worth worrying about. If you are going through the process to make a good starter you are most likely in great shape.

Latest posts

Back