Decanting Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningInABottle

Reaction score
I was wondering if mead benefits from being decanted. I know you are not supposed to decant white wines and some of the lighter itallian wines. Would I be making a mistake in using a decanter for mead? This is what I'll be using http://epiphanyglass.com/epiphanyglass/index.html
To view the gallery navigate to Portfolio>Jason Ruff>Decanters
I would hate to waste a good bottle of mead!

Well mead is heartier than wines and it takes more to oxidize, as such I don't think a decanter would really help all that much. You wouldn't hurt it, but I doubt it'd improve it. The only advantage could be if there were unsightly sediment you wanted to hide.

I was under the impression that decanting is supposed to be to allow some contact with air to allow some of the aroma molecules to spread out some and at the same time allow the wine to come up to room temperature more quickly.

The majority of whites are supposed to be drunk chilled.

Mead ? Don't know, I suppose it's up to your own personal preference......

regards

fatbloke

p.s. so that means that there might be some benefit if you like your mead at room temp, but if you like it chilled then probably not......

I find decanting very helpful, particularly with younger meads. It allows some of the youthful vapors (like fusels) to clear out and can improve the aroma.

I think decanting helps. I also find letting the mead warm up a little improves the flavor, which happens while I am decanting.

Decanting is simply the process of pouring off most of the wine to leave sediment. I think you are asking about aeration.

One of the major reasons to aerate a younger wine is to oxidize some of the tannin compounds, reducing their bite. This does not apply to a mead unless you have added a source of tannin. There are other reasons to do with aroma compounds, but they have less of an effect.

In short, try it out and do what you like best. And try it out for different strengths on honeys as they will all be a little different.

Decanting also serves to aerate the wine/mead, in addition to leaving sediment.

It can, and most of the time does. I was simply pointing out that we are talking about aeration, not necessarily just the process of decanting. It was not meant to be condescending or snobby in any way, it is just the scientist talking.

Thanks for the input. I tried decanting 2 types of meads this weekend. The first was my blood orange mead that I tried to bottle carb and failed. It had alot of sediment. It worked really well. It did also open it up a bit.

The second was a bottle of dry pyment. I had it in the fridge and just poored a glass. It had almost no nose and absolutely no taste. So I decanted it and let it sit. The next glass was much better! The difference was night and day.

Back