Debittered or Roasted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerD

Reaction score
I've got a recipe for a dry stout that calls for 1lb black barley. The only thing local and quick I could find was debittered. How much difference between the two?

Pretty significant, the debittered stuff has a much smoother less roasty character. Do they have roasted barley? Assuming its ~500 L its the same stuff as black barley (there is some ~300 L roasted barley that wouldn't work).

The debittered is all they had, no roasted of any kind. They're still getting feet wet, adding homebrew supplies to a liquor store

you can roast your own barley... spread out a couple of lbs pale malted barley on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 40 min, or until it reaches the darkness you want.

you can roast your own barley... spread out a couple of lbs pale malted barley on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 40 min, or until it reaches the darkness you want.

Good advice if you want to make your own toasted/amber/brown malt, but getting the color up to roasted barley levels in a home oven without burning it is next to impossible. Roasted balrey is also unmalted, so starting with pale malt wouldn't be the way to go.

That would make black patent or black malt or whatever you want to call it.

Roasted barley is an unmalted adjunct. You could probably make some at home from unmalted barley.

I imagine you'll be fine with the de-bittered black. Is this AG? if so you may consider mashing a few degrees lower and upping the AAU's in your bittering additions.

The write ups I have seen on de-bittered black say it is for adjusting the color. Roast some base grains to get taste right and add a little de-bittered to get color right.

If you wind up ordering online, just order what you need. The LHBS can get your business when they HAVE what you need.

Until then you cannot just stop brewing. Can you?

Add 4 oz of ground coffee to the mash, espresso if you have it. I'd also use the de-bittered.

Latest posts

Back