Dead Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davida

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a batch of brown ale yesterday using White Labs WL002. I made a starter the day before as always but did not see any activity in the starter after 6 hours. I thought temp might be a problem since the room temp was ~65 and the yeast instructions said 70 or higher is best. To heat the starter I used the oven. I heated the oven to ~90 then turned off and let the temp settle at ~80. I placed the starter in the oven and left the light on to help maintain the temp. To my surprise I awoke the next morning and found the temp of the starter at ~100 just from the lights??!! I removed it immediately did not "see" any activity but there was a ring left behind from the krusen so the starter was active at some point. I pitched the yeast but have not observed any activity in the fermentor in 24 hours. Do you think I killed the yeast? Should I re-pitch?
:confused:

Back