Dead Ringer IPA kits 19.99 at NB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradlo

Reaction score
Just got an email this morning.. choose 3 of 6 kits for 19.99 til midnight Tuesday. So I made it worth my while and got 3 Dead Ringers. That's 27.45 lb of Gold LME, 3 lb of Briess Caramel 40, and 15 oz of Centennial hops for just under $60 plus 7.99 flat rate....
Oh the possibilities!
:mug:

I haven't had it. I figured I could get 4 or 5 brews from the LME making different recipes. Hard to get that much for the price. Maybe I'll brew one kit.

Yep, and the Dead Ringer was has the best value for the dollar. Everything else listed is the standard 6 lb LME with grains, they look good though. I would get more if I had the money.

Seeing the recipe for that beer is online my guess is that you could go to any of your local shops and source that for pretty close to the $68 you gave inbev.

I wouldn't be surprised if your local shop would also do their best to price match so you aren't spending money online.

Maybe in Jacksonville. Our shop in Pensacola is more of a wine shop, they have a few generic kits, a dozen or so hops, bottle caps, etc. Online this is a pretty good deal

Midwest simply beer kits may be a better deal when they do their free shipping promos....to bad the NB deal doesn't include yeast, still a decent deal though

Seeing the recipe for that beer is online my guess is that you could go to any of your local shops and source that for pretty close to the $68 you gave inbev.

I wouldn't be surprised if your local shop would also do their best to price match so you aren't spending money online.

You are not going to find all those ingredients anywhere for that price. I'd have sprung for it if I didn't already have about 40 lbs of extract and a ton of Centennial hops (I grow them). I think you would be hard pushed to get the ingredients for less than $100.

I was tempted by the Bourbon Barrel Porter, which is even more of a deal, but the extract in that kit is the dark extract, and not good for use in too many beers.

Northern Brewer used to a similar promotion a couple of times a year before InBev bought them.

This is the 2nd time in the last 3 months that they have offered this deal, the last was around New Years. I've ordered 3 kits both times, its just too good of a deal to pass up.

You are not going to find all those ingredients anywhere for that price. I'd have sprung for it if I didn't already have about 40 lbs of extract and a ton of Centennial hops (I grow them). I think you would be hard pushed to get the ingredients for less than $100.

I was tempted by the Bourbon Barrel Porter, which is even more of a deal, but the extract in that kit is the dark extract, and not good for use in too many beers.

Northern Brewer used to a similar promotion a couple of times a year before InBev bought them.

Personally it has nothing to do with the price to me as I try and avoid giving a cent to InBev. My lhbs carries 30# tubs of Briess LME for $50. A lb of centennial is between $10 - $15 online and crystal malt is $1.25/lb so I'm looking at around $70.

Is it a solid deal certainly, can you get the same deal from a local or small business? In my experience yes. I would choose to spend my money at small or local businesses personally. I don't shop at walmart either for the same reasons.

Oh man. I just found out that InBev just bought Northern Brewer. Bummer. Glad I found out. Sad.

Thanks for telling me about InBev buying NB. I bought a few things from them. But, this changes things

Around Columbus Day last year Northern Brewer offered a bunch of extract kits for $14.92. Dead Ringer was one of them. Normally brew all-grain, but at 14.92 I picked up a bunch, and used them as I saw fit.

I picked up a couple of these on sale. One I'll make by the book; the other I plan to make with Belgian yeast for a Belgian IPA.

Around Columbus Day last year Northern Brewer offered a bunch of extract kits for $14.92. Dead Ringer was one of them. Normally brew all-grain, but at 14.92 I picked up a bunch, and used them as I saw fit.

I've NEVER bought a kit, but this is a ridiculously low price at under $20.
Typical kits listed on the LBHS websites here in NJ usually run between $30-$50. :confused:

I ended up grabbing 2 of these during this sale and bottled my DR last week. Tried a test bottle last night and it was great, definitely happy with the outcome. Now just have to be patient and let it condition another week or 2:tank:

I just finished the last bottle of my first run of this kit. It was a colossal hit with both my IPA friends and non-IPA friends alike. I bought two of these when they were on sale with the intention of making one by the book, and the other with Belgian yeast to make a Belgian IPA. But now I'm rethinking that since this turned out so well. I learned a few things from this batch that I'll apply to all future brews and I'm already curious to see how a second batch of this same kit might be even better. But it's could be really yummy with a Belgian twist to it too. Anyone ever done Belgian yeast with this kit before? I'm not looking for a direct clone of Flying Dog's Raging *****, but something in the same family.

I'm sure partially their goal is to squeeze out the little guy in this arena also. I took them up on this deal last year, but not again.

NB just had another buy 3 IPA's get them for $20 a piece, I still have another DR kit so I grabbed another Kama Citra, Sierra Madre and Chinook IPA kit, just can't let the gf know since I'm pretty stocked up on beer kits at the moment

I'm sure partially their goal is to squeeze out the little guy in this arena also. I took them up on this deal last year, but not again.

They were doing this when they were a 'Little guy'. My concern was that they would stop doing it when they were bought. So please don't say this is a scheme to squeeze out smaller stores.

They were doing this when they were a 'Little guy'. My concern was that they would stop doing it when they were bought. So please don't say this is a scheme to squeeze out smaller stores.

The old sale fits their overall scheme. I'm sorry if you don't want to hear that.

This was a good deal. I got the grapefruit pulpin, the ace of spades black ipa, and the dead ringer... all of which were over 9 pounds of LME, with starting gravities between 1.064 and 1.068.

I'm in the business of keeping as much in my bank as I can while enjoying great beer. This last time around I got a couple DRs and Black IPAs along with some roasted barley. Since I'm not big on IPA, I broke open the Black IPA kits and have a stout in the carboy next to the Amber that I used some DR components to brew. Still a lot of LME left over and a couple lbs of cascade.

I'm in the business of keeping as much in my bank as I can while enjoying great beer. This last time around I got a couple DRs and Black IPAs along with some roasted barley. Since I'm not big on IPA, I broke open the Black IPA kits and have a stout in the carboy next to the Amber that I used some DR components to brew. Still a lot of LME left over and a couple lbs of cascade.

I rather spend a little more and help the smaller guys, rather than an organization that fosters the snuffing out of creativity for the mighty buck.

I love stocking up on these kits when they come around. Some, you can't even buy the hops for much less than a $20 spot.

Agreed, it's a great deal. I bought 3 on this deal even though I was plenty stocked on kits, just didn't tell the GF that I bought more :D

how often do they put them on sale? I'm looking to brew this but would love to get the $20 kit when it goes on sale.

how often do they put them on sale? I'm looking to brew this but would love to get the $20 kit when it goes on sale.

Timing varies. They may make up the kits in advance of orders. Certain amount of time on the shelf and they must go on sale. Subscribe to their emails for the offers.

I got the Dead ringer, Ace of Spades black, and the Kama Citra. The Kama Citra is excellent, reminds me of of a hybrid of Sweetwater IPA and 420. The ace of spades is in primary and the dead ringer is up next. I have made the dead ringer 3 times already and always turns out excellent.

I think the 3 kit deal is usually in March. They aren't always the same ones offered either. They also have similar sales periodically throughout the year.
My favs are Dead Ringer, Kama Citra, and Caribou Slobber.

Latest posts

Back