Dead hop rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfinnegan

Reaction score
Rookie question for y'all. Last year I planted 20 Centennial rhizomes in April and by sept. 15th had almost 10oz. Of hop cones.
Winter came and went and this year only 10 plants sprouted vines. I didn't do jack squat to protect them over the winter so I think they are dead.
The question is, will they ever come back or do I need 10 new rhizomes?

If there aren't any signs of life by now (or by May 15th, really), then they are unfortunately deceased. Where are they planted/what is the climate like? Hops are basically weeds and pretty hardy, so a 50% survival rate is puzzling to me. Was your winter overly brutal? If they are potted, then there is a higher risk of death because the cold will soak through the pot and it will get colder than the ground.

Even if you can get rhizomes at this time of year, I would not plant anything this year (unless you are in a very mild climate, like California or Florida). My general rule in Illinois is that if it isn't in the ground and growing by the first week of June, it is getting pushed to next year.

Also, with a 50% survival rate, I would order from a different supplier (or at least contact them about it - they may give you a discount on the next set). You may want to go to a different variety if your climate is on the harsher side - Cascade is very hardy, for example. Also, 20 plants worth of the same hop is going to get boring quick. Personally, for 20, I would do 4 amarillo, 4 citra, 6 cascade or centenial, and then a couple of haullertau or saaz. I would avoid "basic" bittering hops like Magnum or CTZ - using pellets for those is a better use of time and money (also, a 3oz charge of bittering leaf hop is a LOT of volume).
Anyway, my 2 cents and ramblings. Better luck next year.

I live up here in Maine. Northern North East, so our winters can be rough. I know I didn't cover them up before it got really cold and that's why only half made it.
So I'll need more rhizomes for next spring it sounds like. Thanks for your input.
I have some Nugget hops right next to the Centennial that are doing very well.
Last year( the first year for all of these) I had zero yield from the nugget but i harvested just around 10 ounces of centennial ....
the year will be the opposite it looks like

What did you do to prepare them for winter? Did you leave some length of bines with leaves to keep photosynthesizing after harvest? Did you apply any potassium?

Some kind of mulching would probably have been a good idea.

Latest posts

Back